Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Front Brake Grafts

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' at netrider.net.au started by rodgerdodger, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Hey,

I'm looking for some advice on whether or not it's a good idea to replace the front brake on an '83 XL600R. It's a disc brake but it's fairly tiny in comparison to most more modern bikes. I'll get round to getting the exact specifications but it can't be any bigger than the disc on my other bike, a DT175.

I know it's an older trail bike and wasn't intended to be fitted with anything ridiculously large but if anyone had any idea's as to a suitable, slightly more powerful setup it'd be appreciated.

Also, will this kind of modification cause any radical change in the handling/the reaction I'm going to get from the suspension/etc, to the point where the swap isn't going to be worth it/safe?

Has anyone else done this kind of swap before and how much difference is there going to be in the brake caliper bolt position/how the different disc is going to be fitted/are there going to be any issues fitting a different reservoir?

Cheers.

2. why not ask the people who offer larger discs for motard conversions?

No you wont get changes in handling or suspension reaction but if may be easier to find a very similar bike, put two forks on with caliper mounts and run dual discs with a Y split from the master cylinder. Mostly problems with this occur by needing spacing offsets for speedo drives or having no wheels available that will accept a rotor on both sides.

PS, is the current setup not good enough? Have you thought of different pad materials?, has the fluid been changed in the last decade? are the brake hoses perished and ballooning somewhere?

All the best.