Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Front brake applied yet light not engaging??

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by ceska, Oct 3, 2008.

1. hi - I've just noticed that my new VTR250's rear light does not engage & brighten when the front brake is applied. All is well when the rear brake is applied, which is strange!

Seems a silly issue & possibly a disconnection somewhere? I've blindly checked cables, altho I don't really know what I'm looking for being a newbie to bikes in general :oops:
    Any suggestions outside of dropping it into a dealer?

2. Not sure how the brake switch mounts into the lever assembly, but check that it hasn't simply come loose and moved away from the lever. Grab some electrical contact cleaner and give the switch a good spray while working it. Other than that the only thing left would be to replace the switch.
  3. Mine did the same. First check that the two wire connectors are attached (doesn't hurt to slide connectors off and back on to get a better connection anyway). If still a problem, order a new front brake switch. $20 for generic, $30 for Honda part. One phillips screw later and problem solved.

Good luck.
  4. U know sometimes going back to IT training of checking basics really does answer all (i.e is the monitor plugged in AND power turned on... yes the other cable!)

There WAS a cable disconnected, so after re-applying all works perfectly, although I have to say there's no click or engaged feel when the cable goes in to say its secure, but who am I to question? all works, am happy :grin:

Thanks for taking the time to answer what has ended up a silly newbie / girl question (no offense to ladies with more logic & gents pls happy to have entertained) :idea: :oops: :LOL:
  5. a handy hint is to get a digital multimeter (certainly not the old test light things though)

lucky you found it, but instead of guessing if you come across a problem next time the multimeter saves a ton of time narrow down where the circuit problems are before rushing to replace items
  6. Multimeter? Pfft.
    Find switch. Bridge two wires with a piece of wire. No light? No power. Check power supply to light switch/fuse.
    If light when bridged, adjust or replace switch.

Regards, Andrew.