Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Front Axle Support

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by jd, Nov 3, 2007.

1. Took the front wheel off the Kat today to check the bearings (only to find they're virtually brand new) and in doing so discovered that pretty much the only thing holding the front axle support nuts on was the fact they'd rusted to the stud. Problem being that now they're off there's stuff all thread left to try and get them back on - as can be seen in the photo (the really worn bit is right where the nuts need to go :().
    Basically just wondering if anyone has any advice on what to do? I've already tried ditching the washers to see if I could get the nuts to bite into the unused thread but that didn't work - and not too sure if fitting extra washers to move the nut out to the start of the thread is such a good idea. If I took the fork into a mechanic would it be possible for them to remove the stud and replace it with a fresh one or is it part of the fork?

2. They should just be a stud, and relatively easily removed. Once out take it and the nut to your local exhaust shop and there's a good chance they will have a replacement for you, otherwise you may ned to source a genuine one. Either way, should be pretty easy to make like new again.
  3. Well you were full of crap about the easy to remove part :p. But knowing it was supposed to come out was certainly a big help :).
    (Yes I used vice grips, how could you tell :LOL:)

Interesting comment about the exhaust shop, never would have thought of looking there.
  4. One of my former professions :wink:
    Looks just like an average manifold stud, but knowing Suzuki, it will be a special, "one off" thread pitch, or something like that, just to make it difficult. Good luck with it.
  5. Aaargh! Isn't it always the way, get the first one off but the second one won't bloody budge - I've already destroyed one (cheapo) set of vice grips trying. :mad: . If anyone's got any tips to make this easier please let me know, otherwise looks like it'll have to wait until I can get another (much larger) set of vice grips. Oh I've already thoroughly drowned it in CRC.
  6. jd, if you have the gear you could try heating it...low flame on an oxy or such. thats how we used to get studs out of old racing heads where I used to work.
  7. Give it a tap straight on with a hammer, just to break the bond of corrosion.

Be very careful with heat around the alloy fork parts if you go that route.

You could weld something to it for leverage.

Don't s'pose there's any chance of two nuts going on to lock together?
  8. First thing I tried - wasn't enough strength left in the thread for that though unfortunately.
    Since I don't have access to a welder think I'll give tapping it with a hammer a go then start again with a fresh set of vice grips (though that'll have to wait for another day).
  9. Weld nuts on the studs, lots of penetrating oil, and come back tomorrow. They'll fall off. A cheap welder wil cost under $100 from Super Cheap. You will use it a lot.
    Use Loctite on the new studs, and get grade 8 Nyloc nuts for the new studs, or use lockwashers.
    Otherwise, grind two flats on teh stud to suit a spanner you have in the toolbox, and use penerating oil.

Regards, Andrew.
  10. Go buy yourself a bloody stud remover/inserter. the good ones look like a socket and they have cams in them turn it and it locks on, get the breaker bar onto it and give it a bit of your power. But be careful you dont snap it off! because then you will have to buy a stud extractor set, and their a bit pricey for a good one.

By the way, its not such a good idea to heat alloy, it weakens it a lot if they get past a certain temp and its not that high.

Next time you dismantle your bike, if you see bolts that are looking a bit sad fix them. Get a tap and die set and run a die over the bolts with cutting fluid, and remember when running the die over a bolt the rule is 1/2 a turn on and 1/4 turn off and repeat until you finish. Even hitting them up with the wire brush will be good.

p.s. Go buy yourself a set of good vice-grips :wink: try the brand called 'vice-grip'. They'll set you back a penny but they are good, although the only place ive been able to get a set is my snap-on dealer.
  11. If you use heat, just heat the stud -not the lower fork slider. When its nice & hot give it a good squirt with something like WD40 CRC or preferably Yield. Buy a stud remover & it will come out easy as.
  12. Didn't even know such a thing existed but bought one today and it worked absolutely f*&king brilliant :grin: (once I figured out how it actually worked). Thanks heaps for the tip, now just have to chase up some replacements.
    Oh and proof of how well it worked was in the fact it worked first go, whereas all I'd managed to achieve with vice grips was this:
  13. bah.
    bit late but i would have cut a new (smaller sized thread) on the existing studs.
    But im lazy
  14. Thought of that, but didn't like the idea of weakening the bit that keeps the front wheel attached to the bike.