Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

From too small to fat and bulky

Discussion in 'Showcase' started by Sooty, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Picked her up this evening and rode her back home - I know what they say about fat chicks, all fun until your friends find out...

The weight and size will take a bit to get used too - I rode a DR650 for a while and this fatty feels even heavier than that.

'08 Kawasaki KLR650, 14,780km. Larger windshield, topbox and exhaust.

KLR650 in better light

Me with shit eating grin
  2. Bah, it's just more cushion for the pushin'! :p

3. it is heavier, about 30kg (unless it was an older DR650)

I'm quite jealous actually. I'm planing on taking a 2010 KLR650 for a test ride this weekend. So keep me updated on your thoughts.
  4. Will do. Got a bit of a gentle introduction to off-roading coming up next month.

Most folk reckon the 30kg difference is the water cooling vs oil cooling - so that's usually the crux of the argument between the DR and KLR. Otherwise I find the performance and handling between the two are close enough.
  5. I could be mistaken, and it seems a little too coincidental, but I could have sworn I saw your bike parked outside Eureka this morning.
  6. nice bike. ive been looking into getting a do it all machine (as ive just started riding on the dirt and wrote my roady off).

if you dont mind, how much did you pay?

enjoy it :)
  7. I went for my test ride yesterday. The Kawasaki guys said that the test bike is a de-resitricted version, which surprised me, as I hadn't heard that Kawasaki even needed to make a restricted version for LAMS.

I'm coming from a GS500 perspective here....

The very first thing I noticed was how high the seat was... then how soft the suspension was and how much it sank when I put my weight on the seat. I am 6'3", but I have short arms/legs for my height (if everything was in proportion to my limbs, I'd only be 6' even) and I couldn't quite stand with both feet flat.

My bike has a very stiff/heavy clutch (I swear I have carpel tunnel after a days riding). The KLR in comparison is incredibly soft. It took next to no effort to pull the lever in and the gears were easy to change. Everything just seemed "soft" which seemed out of place on a "farm looking" bike.

Went for a spin around a set path with the Kwaka rep leading the way (on some flash road bike). As a single 650 thumper it runs WAY smoother than I was expecting. And it got itself up to 110kph on the freeway rather quickly and smoothly. This is when I noticed how much air the radiator shroud (fairing?) and windshield deflects. The hand guards were great too and I thought I could ride at 110kph all day without a problem (based on 5 mins on the freeway :) ). The seating position took some getting use to though, its almost cruiser style, but I do prefer it to leaning forwards (which having short arms, I tend to do more than you would expect).

This is the first "faired" bike I have ever ridden so maybe this is normal, I don't know, but it seemed / sounded like the fairings were loose or something. Now, I know they weren't loose, I tried to give them all a good wiggle when we stopped, but it just sounded like everything was shaking. This could have just been the noise from the single thumper at highway speeds. (kinda curious how much faster it can get over 110kph...for those times you need the speed to overtake something).

For a reasonably heavy bike with a high centre of gravity, that I did notice at low speeds, I managed to lean it over easily around the roundabouts.

Went for a short splash down a dirt road (yes the Kwaka guy on the road bike was right there too) and I don't think it told me anything, as it was just an unsealed road. Not remotely close to anything "dirt", so I would've taken the GS down it without second though. I did aim for every puddle I saw though :) and the suspension is WAY better than my soft and squishy GS.

If they had offered me a better trade in (I knew it was going to be a lot lower than I wanted) , I would have bought it. Really like to test out the BMW F650GS in comparison now.

Now back to you for any updates.
  8. I went for a Sunday morning ride around the dirty side of Obi Obi road and the dirt roads around Cooloolabin. Followed dad on his DR650. Running Dunlop Trailmax tyres and the rear is getting a bit down but it felt planted on the lose stuff. Only the mud made it kick out while braking. I'll be throwing a Dunlop 606 on the back when that time comes (maybe think about a 18" rear upgrade for the next hoop >:D).

I won't go too crazy until I sort out the doohicky and get crash bars/bash plate. Waiting to hear back from Eagle Mike (the doohicky man, see klr650.net).

Went and spoke to a local guy who makes pannier/pannier racks. Very quality kit and I'll be ordering his pannier racks when he makes the next batch in a few weeks time. $400 for the rack, $550 for the hard panniers and $120 to have them powder coated. I'll be just using the racks with andystraps soft panniers to begin with.

I paid $5600, which was pretty much market value. Couldn't find fault with it and I ended up with the slight modifications for nothing I guess.

For more poke up hills and highway, the 14 tooth front (which I have) is the go. Lets it do 3800rpm at 100kph, 4200rpm at 110kph. Otherwise I'm doing 2700rpm in fourth at 60kph.

The KLR carries its weight very well. A fork brace is said to make them even better on the highway and through the twisties. That and Ricor fork inserts and rear shock ;)
  9. Ordered the doohicky kit from Happy-trail.com - $50USD for freight is a bit f'n much though so you might want to negotiate that with them. Also got the subframe bolts (the factory ones are shit and will sheer off given a load and a bump), rotor bolt and gaskets.

Compression braking is huge - accidentally dropped into 1st when I was expecting 2nd and because I blip I let the clutch out quickly, back end stepped out a bit before I could clutch in and go back to 2nd. Fun!
  10. Are you going to replace the doo on your own? It looks a little too involved for me. I'm prepared to maintain the stuff on the outside of the engine casings, but once they start coming off, I'll find a mechanic thanks.
  11. The 'do has been replaced - $220 but that included general service costs etc. I figured I'd have to give it to a mechanic anyway just to check everything over so having him do the 'do was easier. Otherwise I'd have bought the tools and done it myself. From now on I'll be doing my own wrenching since I don't want to be stranded in the middle of no where without a clue.