Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Fresh Meat

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by SnoopyRider, Feb 8, 2015.

1. Hey, im Matt, i am 18 and i just got my L's and now the question is helmet, gloves and obviously my first bike ! :) the only problem is my dad wont let me get one but i don't let that discourage me, as i would do anything to ride, i am kinda in a rough situation as to what i should do.

2. This situation comes up quite frequently on the forum. The advice generally boils down to this:
    1. If you live at home with your parents you should abide by their wishes.
    2. If you live independently and have your own income then you can make your own decision.
    3. You may be able to change their opinion if you show you are serious, that you will get appropriate training, and wear appropriate protective gear.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. welcome aboard :] its a tough choice what cjvfrcjvfr says is good advice
  4. I do live with my parents, and i am looking towards getting a job very soon, i was also thinking of buying helmet and gloves first and just seeing what happens
  5. Congrats on your L's Matt, your choice obviously, but I wouldn't get any gear until you're sure you're getting a bike. For one thing it's not just helmet and gloves, it's also jacket, pants, boots as basic kit. So all this can cost serious coin, particularly if you have no income at this point.

Once you are in a position to (be allowed to) or are going to buy a bike anyway, then look at the gear.

Good luck!
  6. Sit down when things are chilled and have chat with your dad in a non confrontational tone and ask him about why you can't you may be surprised by what he talks about. Try real, real, hard not to get defensive (I know I know it's hard! ) about it all. As CJFVR said talk to your dad about all the gear you will commit to buying, the learner group rides you'll be joining and the riding skill courses you will do and most of all tell your Dad about why you want to get a bike.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  7. You know, I am sure, that they are only worried for your safety and are not being arbitrary, there is no doubt that a bike requires more road savvy to stay safe than driving a car and is less forgiving of mistakes. If it is something you are passionate about then you need to try and explain this to your parents so at least they understand where you are coming from. Will they ever stop worrying; no. I have been riding for umpteen years, my mother is in her eighties and still worries, still has to call me whenever there is a public report of a bike accident out my side of town.

Oldmaid's points above are good ones. You need to work on convincing them that you are serious, that it is not a short term fascination and you will do your best to manage the risk. The common response is, it's not your actions they worry about, but other road drivers. That is true but if you read through the forums here most posters emphasize reading traffic, being aware of the movements of all around you and placing yourself on the road to minimise risk. You can't make yourself invincible but you can improve your odds. Insurance statistics say that a bike rider is also a better car driver. That comes down to better road awareness.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. This reminds me of the first motorbike I ever rode.

A school mate of mine bought an old Triumph Tiger Cub, but his parents were very strongly against motorbikes, so it got hidden round at my place, where my Dad was much more laid back about bikes.

Of course the price my mate paid was I was also allowed to use the bike. :)

Dunno if you could get away with this sort of plan nowadays.......
    • Funny Funny x 2
  9. Welcome! When my son was little and said when he grew up, he'd get a motorbike was if he did, then so would i. Last October he came home, waved his newly acquired learners at me, then went overseas. While he was away, I read, researched and by the time he got home recently found his mum had beaten him to the punch. That'll learn him!

Be gentle on your parents. :)
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Hey SnoopyRiderSnoopyRider. I'm one of those nasty dads. I'm qualified as I have more than one. But I ride, so I'm with you. If one of my sons got a bike (the youngest is over 21 mind you), I'd be worried about HOW they rode. I had 30+ years of driving experience before I rode so knew instinctively what traffic would do. That one thing has been an enormous advantage. You just do not have that knowledge.

As said by (checked above - OldmaidOldmaid), talk to your dad. Dads are committed, stubborn, but love their kids, but often don't know how to express it other than to be protective. Don't buy the gear as that will inflame the situation. Gear's always available. It may take some time, but work with him.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Great story GoldenberriGoldenberri! That'll learn him that he has a get up and go mum!
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Thanks guys, I will keep all of that in mind and i understood the points you all made, i hope to save up and slowly convince the big daddy ^_^
    • Like Like x 1