Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

N/A | National France considers compulsory mandatory protective gear...

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by robsalvv, Feb 25, 2013.

1. The country that brought you mandatory breathalysers in every road using vehicle, then removed it, who brought you mandatory hi-viz, then removed it, is now apparently considering mandatory gear for all riders, because of the health system deficit.

= = = = =

France: ATGATT Shortly Mandatory?
    2013 File under France Safety
    Author: Mike Werner
    It looks like the debate that is happening in some places in the world about the mandatory use of helmets on motorcycles is so minor compared to the one that France is going to have......

.... helmets are mandatory, as is the case in all other European countries, but the French want to go for the next step. Currently the next step is making it mandatory to wear gloves when riding your motorcycle. According to French and international research, gloves can reduce severe corporal accidents, and in a medical system that is in a huge deficit, any penny that can be saved is a penny that can be spent on the politician's campaigns. According to a recent study, it costs the French state €1.1 BILLION for non-lethal motorcycle (over 50cc) accidents per year. As a sidenote, the usage of gloves and other gear (link [​IMG]) is already mandatory in Belgium.

Studies have also shown that motorcycle riders are better off then scooter riders, since motorcycle riders tend to wear gloves while scooterists don't.

So far there has been almost no reaction from the motorcycle community in France, since most members wear gloves anyway. But the next steps might solicit more emotions. The government is looking at introducing bit-by-bit new legislation regarding a sort of ATGATT law:

Step 1 - Jackets/Vests for all PTW under 125cc (so essentially mopeds)
    Step 2 - Dorsal and Lombard protection for PTW over 50cc (so back-body armor)
    Step 3 - Jackets/Vests equipped with airbag for all PTW over 125cc
    Step 4 - Boots or semi-boots protecting foot and ankle for all PTW over 125cc

In essence, a nanny-state wants to protect its citizens to the point that they want to make sure that nothing happens to them, and to ensure that this happens, they prefer a biker to be in a real cage than on a motorcycle.

Via: Moto-Net

= = = =
  2. I like the Belgian link, I would nearly trade footpark parking and legal splitting for Atgatt (even though I don't ATT)
  3. Step 3? they want to make airbag jackets compulsory. Someone is going to make a lot of money. As there does not seem to be many manufacturers of these things.
  4. Does it come in black? :)
  5. Bugger the lack of manufacturers, seen the price of a Dainese or A* suit equipped with air bags? I remember there was a jacket sold locally that had an air-bag a couple of years ago. It sold so badly that they were trying to offload them for under $200.

Give the product time to mature/rot.
  6. I bought mine for $95 pretty good jacket for that price.
  7. Imagine coming off the road off the side of a cliff edge...something like Great Ocean Road, would make for an interesting Zorb ball experience, OR on the freeway and rolling into opposite traffic to be shot back and forth like a pinball...
    • Like Like x 2
  8. #9 Vertical C, Feb 25, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
    That ball looks fun, I don't understand why you need a helmet though?

I would wear that instead of a helmet, I will take my chances with cliffs/pinball, wind in your hair would be worth it.

Edit, couldn't they just have a rubber band back to the bike to stop the ball going too far (plus when you get hit the guy gets out of their car to say sorry mate I didnt.......blammo they are smacked by the rebound. Win win.
  9. This is a well timed response to the high-viz discussion.

The benefits of being a colourful cyclist

The first racing bike I bought was jet black with white lettering.
    It was a custom build by a Sydney manufacturer (due to my non-standard height), so I could choose any colour of the rainbow. I figured black was the ultimate neutral colour, and would match anything.
    Such as the logo-free white cycling shirt I was wearing a few months later when a car coming from the opposite direction cut in front of me at an intersection.

All sorts ... commuter cyclists in a range of colours. Photo: Andrew De La Rue
    The first thing the driver said to me was, "I never saw you". This was somewhat cancelled out by her next sentence: "I thought you were going to stop." Especially as I had the green light in my favour.
    Sure, the bike was black, but I was wearing a white shirt, and had a flashing white LED light on my handlebars, even though it was daytime. And we'd collided almost head-on, wheel to front bumper. How could she not have seen me?
    Nevertheless, while I was waiting for her insurance to build my new bike, I pondered a new strategy. Hillbrick Racer Mk II was sprayed in Tour de France yellow, to the surprise of friends. "If I ever do a stage race, my shirt will match my bike after the first day," I told them. Indeed, I bought a yellow helmet and started collecting bright shirts.
    Wearing vivid colours can be one of the fun things about cycling – a joyous release from the drab, conformist nature of much of men's fashion, especially business dress. But if you're moving among cars, you want to feel you're being seen.
    The issue of cyclist visibility was in the news recently, with a startling recommendation in New Zealand that high-visibility clothing should be compulsory for cyclists.
    Wellington coroner Ian Smith was investigating the death of Superintendent Steve Fitzgerald, 57, a former national road policing manager who was hit by a truck while cycle commuting in 2008. Among a series of recommendations, including making it law that cars should leave at least a metre of space when passing a cyclist, Smith said it was "a no-brainer" that hi-viz clothing should be made compulsory for cyclists.
    My first thoughts when reading this were, gee, who would be a coroner? When you spend every day dealing with death, tragedy and loss, it must be tempting to make strong, well-meaning recommendations that are nevertheless impractical at best and highly illogical at worst.
    Especially when you read that Fitzgerald, who was cycling at 5.20pm in the depths of a Wellington winter, had flashing lights on his bike and was wearing a jacket and backpack that had reflective strips on them. Clearly, being highly visible didn't save him.
    But does hi-viz clothing save anyone? Certainly, reflective strips on clothing or bikes at night make you stand out in a car's headlights. Wearing head-to-toe fluorescent clobber during the day might not have the same effect, some related studies suggest - it can depend on the light conditions and colours around you.
    Compulsory hi-viz jackets would doubtlessly have one big impact, however – and that would be to lower the number of cyclists on our roads. It'd be just another hot, uncomfortable thing to have to buy and remember to wear, while many would feel that dressing like a weirdo shouldn't be necessary to do something as natural as cycling.
    After all, the only major impact of Australia's near-unique mandatory helmet laws was to reduce cycling participation – 20 years later, some scientists are adamant that the laws did not much good and a lot of bad. (Is Australia seen by the rest of the world as a haven of cycling safety? Hmm ...)
    Happily, a New Zealand transport official was quick to dismiss the coroner's recommendation, saying better education of cyclists and motorists, not an arbitrary law, was the key.
    Besides, if visibility is paramount, isn't it time black and other dark-tone cars were banned? Or at least made to have a mandatory 30-centimetre fluoro strip running round them? And what about hi-viz vests for pedestrians?
    As someone who cycles at speed on busy roads, I still prefer bright colours, even though some people like to mock middle-aged blokes in gaudy gimp gear (haters gotta hate).
    But we all know what really makes cycling safer. Increased numbers of cyclists – and motorists who are looking out for them.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/executive-style/fitness/blogs/on-your-bike/the-benefits-of-being-a-colourful-cyclist-20130222-2ev3r.html#ixzz2LsPCgM7C

Someone has also posted up this which is the key reason high-viz doesn't work.

You don't see what you're not looking for, no matter how obvious it is.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Should make all the cars fluro then pushies and motorbikes would stand out against them.
  11. Cool. In traffic one fallen rider would bump into other riders and set off a chain reaction. Get enough bikes together and they'd reach critical mass where one bump and the whole street explodes into a mountain of orange balls, like popcorn.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. If you are going fast enough to set off a popcorn reaction, you better be wearing that...
  13. The french have lost the plot. No more buying of Gillette, Bic or any other stupid french products.
  14. Yoplait and French Fries from Maccas as well.
  15. #16 creampuff, Feb 26, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
    It won't happen. It is France.

There was recently a proposed law for compulsory 150 sq cm of reflective material on your jacket in France. It was dropped. If the won't make a law for a small amount of reflective clothing, there is no chance they will make a law for airbag jackets.

The French don't make new laws like this, the French don't enforce a lot of laws.
  16. Why does anyone pay attention to the French?
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Someone in official circles is floating these ideas though... probably some well meaning non riding do gooder. As I read it, the reflective patch law only got dropped because of a change of government, or change of leadership or some such, otherwise it was full steam ahead.
  18. Meh, France has speeding laws too, but it didn't stop me driving at 150km/h for 6 hours without attracting the attention of plod.

Anyway, airbag jackets are expensive; it will never happen. I don't see how you could mandate something like boots, there is no standard for motorcycle boots.
  19. They could easily write the law to say "boots that cover the ankle" ....sure that includes slip on workboots that offer no protection and are probably worse than joggers, but it is annoying and will make less people ride which is the point of the law.