Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Frame Straightening in Victoria

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by Skogas, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Hello,

I just got my hands on an old and rusty 1955 BMW R50 that was also smashed, and from closer inspection it seems like it requires a fair bit of frame straightening.

Does anyone have a recent experience with frame straightening in Melbourne, and would it be possible to ever get it roadworthy in Victoria if the frame straightening is done by qualified mechanic (I'm planning to do club registration only)

Thank you

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Check this out. Its from an OLD thread in here. - 7 years old. this might explain the difficulty in getting "work" done on frames. It MUST be possible to repair a frame FFS. It is possible to engineer a frame from scratch and get it registered. Some things just don't make sense.

BTW Bob Martin Engineering - Later taken over by son Steve was long regarded as the best in the business.
  3. Thanks for your reply jstava, yeah I did a search on the forum first and saw this thread which didn't make me very happy...
    I have stripped the bike off the fenders/tank and other stuff now, and it actually looks a lot straighter so fingers crossed the frame isn't affected too much. I'm trying do measurements myself first (i.e. wheel base, distances between joints etc).

I also contacted the guys at bikemagic and they said that they have a frame straightening jig and regularly straighten frames with bikes being successfully registered later.
    They quoted the cost of subframe straightening to be in the ballpark of $350, but it'd be good to find someone who's experienced with the old bike's frames, so I might to try contacting Steve as well 0 thanks for the tip!
  4. No Worries,

Do let us know how you go.
  5. We used to use a bracket bolted to the workshop bench to hold the headstock and a couple of Long levers and heat to bend everything straight, then stringline it all to make sure its right.. times change.'
  6. I had a frame straightened at bike magic, was a XVS250, cost me around $800. I never finished the project but I know the next owner now has it registered...