Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Frame Damage and Insurance Write Off

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by coffeebean, Apr 30, 2006.

1. My friend dropped her suzuki marauder 800 (luckily she is fine) but there is damage to the frame and front wheel. Although the damage to the frame can be repaired the bike has been written off by the insurer.

She has been told that if she gets the bike repaired that she would have difficulty selling it because it had been written off by the insurance company and that this would be recorded with VIC roads.

We have been told that technically the insurer must write it off as there is damage to the frame.

Has anyone heard of this or can offer any information?

2. Sounds as if it's been classed a repairable write off, which means the insurance company will sell it to recoup part of it's costs paying you out and someone else will take on the task of repairing it. Replacing is usually a cheaper and easier process for them.

Is there a problem with having the bike written off? Usually it means payout and a new bike.
  3. Yes, I think it is a repairable write off.

My friend does wish to buy a new bike but was wondering, if she got it fixed for a trade in, would the fact that the insurance company wrote it off be recorded with Vic Roads and thus make it hard to sell?
  4. This may shed some light on it.
  5. Yes it is recorded. Yes it will make it harder to sell.