Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Four Mountains - Bombala - advice?

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' started by Masakali, Nov 28, 2013.

1. Hey everyone,

My plans to tour the great alpine rd for 3 days have been destroyed by the tour of bright, so sudden change in plans have me visiting the four mountains.

I have the first and last day planned well, but the middle day, which i journey north, I'm not all too familiar with the roads there.

the road from bega to bermagiu looks interesting too...

no snowies this time, i'm saving that for another day

please critique, i'm hoping to get to malacoota by day one, but i usually have more energy on day 1, so might even get to bombala, but i do enjoy the night by the seaside though.

hoping to finish up in orbost or marlo for the night, but once again, if i don't make it that far i'll just make a beeline home instead of the other sidetrips i have planned.

note: i don't have the stamina to do more than 600km's a day as I've been known to fall asleep on the grass for a hour or two each day, such is the freedom of touring alone.

2. I've been through all except Imlay road in the last couple of years (haven't been there since it was sealed). You won't be disappointed.
    My only suggestion is to be careful about doing remote forest roads like the Bonang late in the day when you are tired and the 'roos are coming out.

Kings Highway (B72) would be a great road if it wasn't now 60kmh and full of caravans doing 40.
  3. Thanks Titus, I'll keep that in mind, I'm up at the crack at dawn, so hopefully i'm not still pottering along at the wrong time of day. If worst comes to worst I guess I can just come down the Monaro Hwy instead.