Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Forster to Canberra

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' started by dave_r65, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Hi All
    Planning a trip in February or March from Forster to Canberra down Bucketts Way, Putty Rd then possibly out to Lithgow down to Goulburn. This is where im after suggested routes as I havent seen much south west of Sydney. Any suggestions would be great.

2. You could go from Goulburn to Canberra via Tarago - I haven't done the road personally, but I'm told it's a lot less boring than the freeway.
  3. How much time have you got?

End of the Putty get to other side of Campbelltown as best you can then come down Macquaire Pass.

At Nowra take the road to Braidwood - about 120kms in total, around a third nice new tarred twisties and then easy dirt/secondary roads :cool:

Braidwood only then 90kms from Canberra
  4. If you want to skip the dirt you could keep heading south from Nowra to Bateman's Bay, then take the King's Highway up over Clyde Mountain (similar to Maquarie Pass) into Canberra.
  5. Thanks guys
    Original plan so far after Putty Rd is out to Lithgow, down through Taralga, Goulburn to Canberra then over to Batemans Bay & up to Wollongong & try & avoid Sydney so might go backup to Katoomba then back to Putty Rd. Plan is minimum 5 days maybe 6.
  6. Im only new to riding but I actually find putty road to be only slightly more interesting than the freeway.

Instead of doing it twice, you might consider the cessnock > laguna > kulnurra > spencer > wisemans ferry option ?

I took this route last weekend and was well pleased.
  7. Thanks Clowndog
    I like that idea for the way home. Also enjoyed reading bout your adventures on the strom which im considering myself, trouble is none of the dealers up here have a demo to test ride.