Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Forms of Communication

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by ResmeN, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Okay so we currently have as most used methods of communication
    Telephone
    Facsimile
    Mobile
    Internet
    One to one
    Printed
    Radio
    The internet is probably currently the most used out of these methods with the likes of this forum, fb, twitter, you tube etc.

I'm not that old but I seriously miss the good old days before mobile phones and the internet as life was so different, relaxed and people weren't so easily contactable. Compared to now had a surreal feel to it. Bring back pagers :)

2. You can always turn your mobile and computer off.

3. Easier said than done. What I am saying doesn't only apply apply to personal life but to your work/business and other areas too.
    If you were self employed from home and depended on internet and phone customers wouldn't be so easy to turn your phone and computer off.
    The jist of it is lots of businesses we have today also existed back then but were contacted differently, sold their products differently etc.

4. ...ha,ha,ha.... I used to send telex's at work.... way back when!!....

..the 1st computers I operated ran "Supercalc" and "Multiplan" .... 16.

It used to be nice being "Uncontactable" if it suited you, but the convenience of mobiles is something I would certainly miss.

5. I was talking about business Resmen. If something's important people will leave a message, which you can check at your convenience. That's what I do, even with the phone on my desk.

Of course if your business is customer service this won't work. But in the past this just meant you couldn't leave your office/landline, whereas now you have the choice to be more mobile.

6. Very valid points raised here on both sides of the story. Good stuff.

7. I don't answer anything from work on my own time as a matter of principle. It doesn't seem to have disadvantaged me in any way.

8. Is that like a fax?

9. Not really, it was more like a (mostly) wireless telegram system for long range communication.

A business or education institution had a TTY machine, Teletype was the brand of the ones I used although there were other brands and you typed on a keyboard like you would on an electric typewriter.

As each key was pressed the circuits inside the machine converted each keystroke into a series of electrical pulses which were then amplified, converted to (mainly) radio signals and broadcast to another radio receiver which then reconverted the radio pulses into electrical pulses and sent it to the recieving TTY machine which printed out what the other machine was sending.

Later systems actually sent signals via early satellites rather than via High Frequency radio bounced off the ionisphere.

Below is a 33 model teletype with paper punch reader/writer to the left (without tape in it) very similar to the ones I used when I was training.

Amateur radio operators still use versions of Teletype signals (mostly electronically simulated now) for some types of communications.

There were also wired versions and many of them were used as early computer terminals and some had paper tape punches/readers as well as printers for loading storing programs.

10. I remember being told in the eighties that the nuclear bunkers in the UK kept teletypes because as they were electric and not electronic they would survive the EMP...

True or not made me think.

11. #11 Tweetster, Jan 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    ...and you could make "ticker tape" type of messages in advance, prior to sending....

It produced a tape with indents which you then ran through the machine when you wanted to send the message.

If you used the machine "real time".. you had to type darn fast!!... :-s

Watch and laugh!!.....
    [media=youtube]7pouCAOPfYg[/media]
    [media=youtube]9nHfztP9Qqs[/media]

12. I get in trouble for leaving my phone in my bike jacket for days at a time. For some reason this phone doesn't nag me when I have a message.

meh, if people need me, they'll find me.

13. I used to love it, I'd leave at 7am and get back at 7pm and be totally uncontactable bliss.

14. #14 Geoff3DMN, Jan 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    Tweetster your links are of late model Dot Matrix Teletypes (I've used those too) but I always found the bouncing head of the 33 more impressive :)

This one is hooked up to a DEC 11/40, I learnt on a DEC 11/45 with model 33 TTY, almost identical to the combination shown in the video below.

[URL="]
    [/URL]

15. There may be some truth in that. OTOH it may also have had to do with the basic reluctance to update equipment that was a major feature of British Government thinking for decades.

16. what about morse code and snail mail?

17. Morse code is no longer used or monitored for international distress purposes and the majority of use is now by amateur radio operators. I used to be able to manage 25 WPM, these days I struggle to read 10WPM... lack of practice!

A few defence forces still teach it although use except for training purposes is minimal. The Australian Navy did still teach it last I checked, not sure if they still do.

Snail mail is one I had missed though!

18. I wasn't sure if morse code was still widely in use and as above it appears apart from a few exceptions it's not. Snail mail could be grouped under the printed method which also includes newspaper, magazine, billboard and such.

19. Does that also include notes tied to bricks?

20. Haha what about the piegeons then.