Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Forks bent?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by crysix, Jul 31, 2010.

1. I slipped on my hyosung GT250R on wet road. The bike did not hit anything, but when i got the bike up, I couldnt steer the bike straight, the whell only could go to the left.

Well, the arm bar is straight, but the wheels are facing to the left, and i cant get it going to the right. Would that mean i have a bent forks?? and how can i fix it (without loosing alot of money)??

2. and yea, I really dint hit anything, so its kinda puzzling me!!
  3. If you didn't hit anything, the most likely outcome is that you have simply twisted the forks in the triple clamps.

Undo the pinch bolts on both sides of the upper and lower triple clamps, stand in front of the bike with the front wheel between your legs and hands on the bars. Twist the bars such that they face perpendicular to the front wheel.

Retighten the triple clamp bolts and your uncle should now be named Robert. :)
  4. yes it sounds like you have twisted your forks....remember that you are rideing a motor bike ,,not a push bike ,,,,, safety comes with a price $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ yes that .means dollars ...take it to a motor bike shop for them to fix,,how much is your life worth??,,,the most inportant thing about rideing is to get home safe ,,

5. Thats understandable, but I have to spend a $100 for towing to the service, a $110 for check up, the bike is unmovable so gonna be a lot hard to move it into the workshop or to the towing truck. On top of that, the guys could be bulshitting their way through to charge me for more than i need. So i thought of maybe if im lucky fixing the forks first, then replacing all the left mirrors, etc. Then bring it to service for a checkup.
  6. Always factor in repairs and maintenance when purchasing a motorcycle.
    Unfortunately that's what one must do.
    Are you mechanically sound or mechanically inept?
    If the latter then pucker up and pay someone to fix the bike.
    Don't be frightened bout being ripped off, ask here about good bike workshops.
  7. well, thanks for the help, I havent got the tools anyways to fix up the fork, i only took off the fairings so the bike is at least movable. Im gonna get it checked on a workshop this monday, so i hope i wont get any bad news.
  8. I think a picture is in order... Cos I'm not sure how you can twist your forks???
  9. Project managed to twist his by about 30 degrees when he came off up near Wiseman's a few weeks ago.....I was able to bend them back again by clamping the front wheel between my knees and twisting the handle bars in order to move the bike.

I have to confess I was a little worried about how little force it took to bend the forks this way....
  10. well theres two problems with my forks, first when the arm bar is straight, the wheel is facing, at least 20 degrees to the left. Second of all, the front wheel is futher back that it went agains the bottom fairings, everytime i turn it to the right.
  11. I don't mean to offend, but it sounds like you don't know your way around bikes (mechanically) yet.

I may be wrong, but if you do need the forks from me I really recommend that you get a professional to do the job. It's not worth getting hurt over.

At any rate, let me know what the verdict is.

12. well, you are right, i dont know my way around bikes mechanically. I only had my bike and license for 3 weeks, so I havent had much time studying my bike. However, according to my mecho, my left fork is badly bent, so I do need to replace my forks. However, he said it will cost around $1,400 for one, and i think thats without the cost of putting it on, so is that a fair price??
  13. You want this....
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/HYOSUNG-GT-2...orcycle_Parts_Accessories&hash=item439e36a39f $150

Or this, I think the forks are the same, not sure about the wheel though... http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250675276347&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT $280 or best offer, in sydney too.

Or ask this guy if it's straight, and what he wants for the forks and triple clamps http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170521551013&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I've also sent you a PM
  14. Umm...$1400 for a single fork?

That sounds suspect. Where did you take your bike?