Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

fork seals

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by hyper24, Nov 1, 2006.

1. Are fork seals that hard to change?
    Im going to pick up a service manual for the bike im buying (GSXR 750)
    But just curious if fork seals are a job that can be done at home, the guy in the shop reckons I should take the forks into the shop because they need to compress them or something like that?
    Can someone shed light on this, thanks.

2. It's a messy sort of job, but doable. Change the oil while you're at it.

3. so what was the guy talking about at the shops about not being able to do it at home because of a compressor or something like that?

4. ok, what he's talking about is that the valves for the fork are attached pretty tightly into the bottom of the fork.

You change the seals by taking the fork apart & replacing the seal halfway through reassembly.

I've done it myself, was a lot of work, but i wouldnt recommend doin it again in a hurry unless you get a mechanical rattlegun (at the least) or preferably a pneumatic one.

1) Remove the forks.

2) If there is a valve drainbolt at the bottom of the fork, drain the fork. However sometimes you have to remove the cap off of the fork and drain it that way, in which case take the fork cap off, drain it, and reassemble the fork.

3) Remove the valve, this is done by reassembling the forks if needed, holding the fork in a vice on the mounting, getting someone to compress the fork to hold the valve/plunger in place and using a rattle gun to rattle it off. It's do-able without one, but it makes it a damnsight easier by using an impact driver.

4) remove the plunger once it comes out.

5) remove the dust seal.

6) remove the clip holding the oil seal in.

7) pull the fork inner tube out, you'll have to make repeated & hard pulls to get the tube out as there's a bushing thats friction fit in the outer tube.

8) slide the oil seal off, clean the fork up to get any gunked up oil out, doublecheck the fork inners for damage. if there is any on the area swept by the fork movement/oil seal, you'll have to get them rechromed and ground. but if its only a minor bit of pitting you can use 1000+ grade wet & dry to clean up the pitting spots. only sand locally to remove the sharp endges, which can and do kill the seals. then use the paper wet to give it a baby bottom smooth finish.

9) start reassembly of the fork, you'll have to use zip toes or something to compress the bushing to allow it to go back into its friction fit hidey hole. *tip*using pvc tubing thats just the right size to fit over the inner tube to push the bushing back in is a cheap way of uniformly pushing it back in.

10) put the oil seal in and re seat the clip holding it in its place

11) put a new dust seal on

12) put the valve plunger in again and rattle it in place again.

13) refil it with oil.

14) refit to bike and have fun

5. Ok msim, we get the point... ;)

6. did mine last week, took 2 hours and 4 stubbies.
    not a great deal of work.......

7. Fork them?

Can't we just club them???

8. Well its like anything the first time is always the hardest after you have learnt what to do the next time is easier
    1 Get the Service Manual for your bike then read the area you need to know about.
    2 Make sure you have the tools or a solution to each step some bikes need special tools or a really good work around
    3 While you are there also see what other parts you should replace like the dust seals, o-rings etc
    4 If you have a mechanic that you can trust ask what it would cost for for him to do the repair
    5 When doing this all you need to do is a fork seal you can usually just remove the front wheel crank the bike up high undo the holding bolts and slide the entire fork out..much easier than removing the entire front end

As for me I stared off doing simple repairs years ago.
    I am now at the stage where I do all my own repairs and servicing
    Ther is no easy way just get in there and try your best
    I have found my local mechanic to be a great source of goods tips and ideas...just order the parts I need from him and throw him a slab at Christmas time
    Good luck with it

9. What year model gsxr is it?

USD folks are harder and probably best done be a shop, because you generally need a couple special tools.

Right way uppers are easy. I've done it a couple of times on my bikes.