Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

fork oil????

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by adnan12, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Do you need to get a specific type of oil to put in forks or can you just use ordinary engine oil?

2. oh no!!

yeas, you need specific fork oil. some poeople say hydralic oil is ok, but i wouldnt trust that as far as i can throw kim beasly. consult a manual and find out what weight you need and how much you need, there will be a specific volume you need to put in it. and dont undo the tops without pulling the for legs off or at least putting the front end in the air.
  3. Hey, do you know if yamaha city in melbourne is open tommorow, I need to buy some fork oil then. I went to get a roadworthy today and the only thing that failed is the front suspention was too soft and the right wieght oil was in it. I think I need to get 15w or 20w oil.
  4. Consult the manual then go and speak to your local bike shop.
    There are different oils for different bikes. Changing the weight of the oil will also have an impact on the handling of the bike.

It will change the overall characteristics of the front end. Making it harder or softer.

Best thing is to just go with what the book says unless you know exactly what you are after. No problems that way.