Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Fork Fix For GS500F

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by Ingoes, Dec 20, 2011.

1. The only thing I don't like about my GS500F is the front fork. I have seen a 'fix' where you add spacers made out of polypipe to the fork assembly.

Can someone please explain how this will actually improve my front suspension? Is there danger of damaging any components?

How much better would progressive springs be?

2. The spacers just increase the pre-load on the front springs, this will make it stiffer - it's a simple change with minimal risk of damaging anything.

A set of progressive springs and a change of fork oil would be a better way to go about it, but involves spending more money...
  3. I would suggest getting some stiffer springs, can't remember the US website you can get them from, I had a gs500 that bottomed out a number of times on the front, once I had the new springs put in it made a hell of a difference..

Even doing the spacer thing, which just adds pre-load, the standard springs will still bottom out, only worth doing if your springs need a little bit of tweaking adjustment, the gs500 springs are rated for a 60kg rider, not ideal for average aussie males :)

Just remembered the name, http://www.sonicsprings.com/catalog/

They have a calculator you can use..
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Yeah at 95-100kgs, no wonder the things struggle...

Thanks heaps. A hundred or so dollars doesn't seem unreasonable to correct the only fault my bike has that I'm good enough to notice. And I'll save myself the effort of making and fitting the spacers.

Cheers :)
  5. I'd go for progressive springs which will probably be a bit stiffer at low travel anyway - check with the supplier.
    Ikon Suspension do them here. Quality items but not cheap compared with overseas suppliers - around $160.
    They'll be half that price + shipping from someone like Progressive Suspension in the US.
    Ikon will recommend what spacer to use with them and, in some cases, supply it.
  6. Cheack out Racetech as well.
  7. Definitely springs. I would get the dampening done too. Oil so forth as said.
    Adding preload by means of a spacer will make it firmer but choppy. Could always go a couple of grades thinker on the fork oil I guess instead of re shimming.
    So yeah spacers and golden syrup is the cheap way out.
    Or it can be done properly. Keep the receipts if you go the proper way. Might not make you any more bucks at sale time. But it will close a sale for you.
  8. I put thicker oil in my mates GS and it made a difference.