Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Fork damper spacer - which order?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by QuarterWit, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Hello everyone!

I've pulled apart the forks on my DR to change the seals. While I was in there I found a spacer in the damper that doesn't exist.

So, when putting it together, which order should it be in?

I'm guessing the second one might be the go... but confirmation would be great before I go ahead.

As a sidenote, the holding bolt at the bottom of the fork was pretty much rounded. And there's mismatched spacers in the forks as well. Undoing other people's ****ups can be bloody frustrating. At least with my own ****ups, I can trace the bloody things...

Cheers in advance!
  2. I don't know if you've got the manual or not, but the position of that spacer appears to be dependent on whether the bike is at its standard suspension height or whether the Suzuki built in 40 mm lowering settings are in play. I haven't actually played with my forks so I haven't any practical experience but I can send you a scan of the relevant pages of the factory manual if you PM me an email address.
  3. That's okay PatB. The bike is lowered at the rear and the suspension has felt stiffer at the front and the back. Part of me thinks that they aren't standard, especially as I can't find them on a fiche.

Then again, they're pretty well made things out of the same material as the damper. I just can't imagine someone putting them in there as part of a mod and not a factory thing.