Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' started by NiteKreeper, Apr 8, 2011.

1. On my way home this afternoon, heading south on Centenary Drive - Friday afternoon, recovering from the flu and I'm obviously daydreaming a bit...
    So by the time I realised it was a golf ball bouncing at me, it was too late to avoid it.
    It rolled/bounced straight into my front tyre, and was spat out to the right at about a billion miles an hour.
    Right into the passenger door of the Subaru wagon in the right lane! It made a HUGE noise and the driver instinctively hit the skids for a sec, while I was busy Getting TFOOT with a burst of speed...
    Once we both realised what had happened, we stopped together at the next set of lights so I could explain what it was that hit him - dude was totally OK about it, but wasn't looking forward to inspecting the damage when he got home. I wished him luck, apologised (I was sorry for him...), and we continued on our separate ways.
    Thinking about it, we'd swapped lanes at the previous lights - kinda happy about that!

2. Hmm, motorcycle golf. :-k

Sounds like something that might make the sport at least vaguely watcheable, and certainly an improvment on playing spot the lesbian in the WPGA.
  3. Well it certainly beats "Motorcycle hubcap", which I've also played...
  4. Golf clubs carry insurance for these situations.
  5. Wow :eek: lucky it went into your tyre and not under your tyre.
    When I first read it, I read that you were spat out to the right, into the passenger door of the car.

Good to hear that you're ok.
  6. Yeah sorry, it's not so much near miss or a rant I suppose - if not for the damage to the dude's car it'd be rather funny...
  7. I find playing "spot the straight one" a much harder game.
  8. Reminds me of driving a delivery van in Sydney many moons ago. Went up the driveway of a golf club somewhere in Sydney, both windows open on a hot summer day and got a golf ball in the passenger window and out the drivers! Scared the crap out of me.
  9. I go along Centenary Drive to and from work daily on the bike, always worried about a wayward drive.
  10. I used to think about it on the way home occasionally, but never saw so much as a ball in the gutter so I obviously just forgot there was a course there!

I guess I can fully expect to see a zombie crossing the road from the other side, any day now...

11. I've had one ricochet off the front screen coming down Queens Rd one time. The damn thing was I saw it coming towards me at a great rate of knots, but I was too busy trying to figure out what it was and which way it was going to avoid it. Luckily it hit the bike on the upwards and shot off into outerspace. I reckon it landed in St.Kilda.
  12. Yeah same here - when I first noticed it I kinda dismissed it as a piece of scrap paper or other similar detritus. It took a couple of seconds of observation to realise:
    1. It's travelling too straight a line and is therefore heavy; and
    2. It's actually bouncing about an inch off the ground...

Don't think I'd enjoy one at screen-height though, and I'd hate to think of the damage it would've caused to the Subie and possibly the occupants!