Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Force Classic review

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' at netrider.net.au started by ibast, Aug 1, 2005.

1. I recently engaged the forum in my pre-purchase resuearch on a fabric jacket and I thought I should update.

I purchased the Force Classic. I compared it with the Dri-rider Nordic 3 and 4 and found it a better jacket.

The back armour was better ( the Nordic may not have had it?) and the back support was more structured.

Also the shoulder/elbow reinforcment looked more substantial and it came with a weather proof liner that the Nordic did not have (both have thermal liners).

I picked it up for $225 (rrp $450), compared with the Nordic $300 and wouldn't hesitate at that price again. I may be a bit relucatant at the full price, but would certainly pay $50-75 more than the Dri-rider product.

I also compared it with the r-jays product and there is no comparison. Tight budget stuff that brand.

I leave home when the temp is about 1-5 degrees and ride for about 40 minutes, with the first 30 min of that on an expressway.

At the lower temps I'm starting to get a cold soak in the jacket at the end of the 30 min stretch, but I must admit most of the cold is coming from other areas, such as gloves and boots. If I were to wear a light jumper underneath I think I could ride in 0 degrees all day, provide my other gear was up to it.

I have a full faired bike, but my shoulders are in the wind. It's a smallish/old style sports bike fairing.

The only problem I have had is one of the pop buttons on one of the pockets has disloadged itself. They provide a spare, but I havn't bothered as the pocket also has velcro and a zip. I'd rather save the spare for one of the main front pops. I have the one that fell off and it looks like it just wasn't swaged properly so I may just refit this to the pocket.

I can't comment on hot weather yet, but I do perseve 2 problems:

1. the front vent zipper is inside the outer flap. This will mean I will need to ride with the flap open in warmer weather and I can't see it staying that way, or just plain anoying me. There is no pops to keep the flap open.
    2. The neck return has no "open" pop button. So if I don't do it up it flaps in the breeze. Aa simple pop button on the back would have solved this.

Overall I am very happy with the product. It does highlight how bad my other gear is.