Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

For those with environmental interests (mainly Victoria)

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by forester_neil, Apr 8, 2008.

1. There's quite a lot going on at the moment from a Victorian Government perspective. Much of this has more to do with planning and initiating change in the way Victoria manages its natural resources.

On Sunday 6th April, the Green Paper on Land and Biodiversity at a Time of Climate Change was officially released. This paper sets out information and proposals for how Victoria "can ensure a sustainable environment for furture generations" and asks for input from the public. :cool:

(or go to www.dse.vic.gov.au and follow the links!)

Also, the Victorian Climate Change Summit was held on the 4th April. To quote the communique: "The Summit was convened to begin setting a new, urgent agenda for Victoria on climate change." Along with the summit, a new website has been developed to show regional impacts of climate change in Victoria. You can also have your say and provide input into the process, so GO FOR IT! :eek:

I cannot stress strongly enough that providing input to these initiatives is important (and yes, they all get read, tagged, filed, summarised, assessed etc etc). VEAC's River Red Gum, report received over 6000 responses, which is amazing, and they've all been read, filed etc etc etc. Some of these documents get over 300, but many get even less.

A few hints. Avoid form letters. They count, but sometimes get classed under the organising body. Take 5 minutes and change it a bit both in look and content! And don't swear (disagree, and think specific parts are foolish, just don't get personal). The people reading your letter aren't the child r@ping gay motherf^&Yng c%^ts that some people think they are. Nor do they care if you doubt their parents marital status (or what species their mother and/or father was). Not that anyone here would do that, but there are some weird people out there! :shock:

Also, 9 orchids, the wavy marshwort, a flax-lily and a feather-moss have been added to the "threatened species" list of the Flora and Fauna Guarantee Act (1988). :grin:
  2. Thanks Neil, will read and respond accordingly! :cool:
  3. I still find their plans for energy production interesting. I've seen their plans for supposedly tapping geothermal power. It's extremely costly, has a very limited lifespan, and last time someone tried a similar system they triggered a minor earthquake. Somehow I don't think that'll discourage them though (they'll probably put it next to their equally stupid ocean desalinisation plant).
    Their plans for wind power are interesting too, strangely every report I've seen for some reason assumes the two aluminium smelters in Victoria will magically disappear :? . If true that's a brilliant approach to global climate change, just shift production to another country :roll:.
    Thanks for posting the links though, I'll have to try and find time to read through it all and see where they've blurred the lines between scientific reality and fantasy (like they usually do).
  4. From a motorcycling perspective there's also the Dept of Sustainability & Environment's trail bike project .
  5. Wind power just got the opportunity to be dramatically more efficient, too:

6. They still have limitations though. With current technology if you wanted to switch entirely from coal to wind power you'd need something like 3,500 wind turbines. And that assumes all of them are running at maximum capacity all the time which obviously doesn't happen making them totally unsuitable for some industries.
    In this state the aluminium smelters and power stations are very closely tied - the smelters are here because coal provides a nice consistent supply of power and the power stations are here because they have a customer that consumes a large, consistent amount of power (aluminium smelters cannot stop production).
    Close one and you lose the other, and Australian bauxite would just end up getting shipped overseas to be made into aluminium (most likely China) only to then be shipped back as metal or more likely, finished goods (so goodbye thousands of jobs in the manufacturing industry).