Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

For those that commute to work by bike...

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by starlet, Dec 18, 2007.

1. Less than 20kms

2. 20kms to 40 kms

0 vote(s)
  3. 40kms +

0 vote(s)
  1. Hey guys,

We've been thinking about relocating and although we have no idea where we will move to, I've been thinking about how far people commute each day to and from work? At the moment our commute is about 20kms and takes about 30 mins each way (not very far at all).

So, just out of interest - how far do you commute (on your bike that is) to and from work? :)

2. Well I have recently got my L's for this very reason... but I live in Tassie so a 20 km ride to work would be from the very outskirts haha. I live about 12km from the CBD and it takes me about 15 mins to get there depending on traffic... could be 10 could be 20
  3. I live in Avalon and work north shore/city/eastern subrbs depending on where the site is.........................minimum 35km commute.
  4. About 17 km by road... only about 15 minutes... would be heaps quicker if I had a better bike to split on... just not quite quick enough to out run the bogan 6ers. Plus some of the lanes get a bit narrow closer to brisbane city. Personally, I would upgrade your bike if you are looking at a longer commute.
  5. 41 km each way. 2/3 80+ limited highway, the rest 60 limited congested urban. In peak times my all time record is 36 mins engine start to engine stop. It would be less but the R1100RT is a bit of a whale. That and the fact that Main Roads program their traffic lights on the Most Annoying principle.
  6. I do 110km (55km each way) every day.

For me, it's about where you live, not where you work. I'd rather live in a nice place and spend a bit of time getting to work than living in a sh*thole that's only a 5 min commute.
  7. 10 mins to work and 15-20 mins to uni. Almost all of it is through suburbia, very little congested main roads and no highways.
  8. Thanks for the replies everyone :)

Funny you say that Cookeetree... I was thinking about it on the weekend and asking myself - would I rather live in a small shoe box that's close to work or a nice place that's far away from work? :-k

I think living in Sydney is really expensive... and the only way we can keep living in a nice place is to move a bit further out which is why I have started this poll. I enjoy riding to and from work but we just don't know if we spend about 3 hours in total getting to and from work, peak hour traffic whether it would really get to us?

So... very interested in what you guys think....

Also, the zx2 (our project bike) is slowly getting to a working state which will make a possible long highway commute much easier.
    Anyone wanna come over and help us fix it up? :p
  9. Yep me it's 65km each way but i live in god's country! :grin:

I don't even have to go away for a holiday, beach, vineyards, windy roads, restaurants, cafes, farms, markets, horse riding all within 10 minutes of home! :cool: :cool:
  10. Three hours a day would suck. It takes me no more than 45mins each way. Still, we've got some guys here who would spend about the same time travelling as you're talking about.

It would have to be a very special place for me to live that far from work.
  11. same as cookeetree, 55km each way.

Takes me about an hour.
    Would like a quicker commute, but didn't want to spent any more days
    working where it was only 28minutes, because I didn't like the place.

Recently bought a car and am driving it quite a few days a week,
    and if any of you shout 'heresy' and 'not a real rider' you can go
    and try to get a life. I've done more kms than I can count on a bike,
    over half a million, spent about 5 years of my life on a bike
    commuting an hour each way and another 4 years half-hour each way.
    Leaves no time or desire to ride on weekends.
    Frankly, I'm sick of it, and I've decided that my motorcycling will
    henceforth be merely for fun. Unless I get a much shorter commute.
  12. 32km ish from narrabeen to uni, takes anywhere from 40 minutes to an hour depending on traffic.

For work its 25kms from narrabeen to pymble and takes me 35-50 minutes, depending on traffic.
  13. 7 Km's it takes me all of about 15-20 minutes.
  14. Dee Why to work is about 29ks, half an hour to 45 minutes depending on traffic and how much I can be bothered to filter.
  15. Me too. And thats on the pushbike :)
  16. 240km return trip. Boring from PI to Cranbourne and then the madness that is the Monash begins, then more madness from Toorak rd to Chapel st to Uni.

Thank God for holidays hey! :grin:
  17. Bout 14km each way, morning takes 10 - 15 min, afternoon a little longer as there is more traffic, not that there's a whole lot in Canberra anyway :grin:
  18. simple really i refuse to work more then 20-30mins from where i live and won't work in the city.... not sure how far it in in km....doesn't really bother me, it's the time factor that i look at :wink:
  19. The thing is, Starlet and i are looking at Campbelltown or down south somewhere... The distance (kilometre wise) is not that crazy, but the M5 or Princes highway get really jammed up. But these areas seem to be the only places around Sydney where you can get a decent house for a decent price. It's such a hard decision :(
  20. I'm pretty lucky. My commute is about 2.5km's..... Only takes about 4 mins :)

I love it :) (benefits of living in a place like like i do)