Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

For the statistically minded in Michigan but relevant

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by AlGroover, Sep 27, 2008.

1. I found these analyses of motorcycle crash figures.
    http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7-123--135253--,00.html
    And for once they contain useful information. Unlike one study which concluded "Kawasakis and Suzukis are overrepresented in motorcycle crashes" (not very useful) this contains some surprises. For example, I wasn't expecting to see such a large number of riders crashing into the rear of stationary vehicles. If you can spare the time to plough through it, do.

2. So the gist is:

Don't speed [in curves and when turning through intersections].

Beware of vehicles pulling a right-hander (in Aus) infront of your bike at an un-marked intersection.

Don't do drugs/alcs.

Ride with a licence.

Follow these guidelines and you'll have reduced your chances of a serious motorcycle injury (according to michigan, USA stats) by over 80%

3. dan_, you've overlooked the common factor in all these crashes.

They all occurred in Michigan, so don't ride there!

4. Dont ride kawasaki and suzuki in michigan

5. an important thing to note is that almost all motorcyclists saw the other party.
    also

so much for the insurance jack for us youngens. according to this study its mostly when we are unlicenced, and insurance doesnt matter then anyway.

not sure about the reccomended GDL though, specifically rider must remain violation and crash free

6. !!! quick, call the insurance companies, we 18yo's on our P licences are due much money in refunds! :LOL:

actually bit of misinterpretation/poorly presented data there on their part. what that data presents is the % of total crashes that falls into each age group. while at first glance that seems to say that 16-20 year olds are safer riders than everyone else except for 61yo and older, one has to compare that to the number of total riders on the road in each age groups.

i.e. if 16-20yo make up only 1% (figure pulled out of my arse) of riders on the road, but account for 5.7% of all serious crashes whereas 46-50yo account for 14.3% of crashes but account for 30% (again, out of my arse) of total riders, then the 16-20 are a more dangerous age group. it would have been good for the study to put a scale of the % breakdown of licenced bike riders in the state just to give a bit of an indication as to the meaning of that 'bell curve'

to the same extent, the vast majority of dolphins (more than 99% in fact) die while in the water (tuna nets count as in the water :grin:), a place where they spend all their life. based on this evidence, we must immediately move all dolphins onto land where it is statistically safer for them to live...

sorry, but no refund for us quite yet

Lobby

7. Reading the report and recommendations they run pretty close to the Victorian eperience. Some differences (very seasonal riding in Michigan so that makes significant differences - 99% of riders there don't ride in the winter)

The majority of crashes are single vehicle crashes and the estimate of 83% as rider fault is pretty close to what we know here.

60% of multi-vehicle collisions being the other vehicle's fault is also very similar.

The recommendations about needing better information and needing better training could have come straight from any source you care to name; the Safety Summit held earlier this year, any VMAC meeting I can think of, the Motorcycle Safety Consultative Committee or the International Safety Conference in Norway all said the same thing.

I did particularly like the strong endorsement of the positives of motorcycling in the recommendations - something you don't see often in a safety report.

The number of motorcycles running up the back of cars is also pretty much the same (anecdotal evidence only here - we don't have nough data). It's often caused by doing a head check and not keeping a close eye on the traffic slowing ahead.