Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

For the IT Geeks: The strange Birth and Long life of Unix.

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by cjvfr, Dec 9, 2011.

1. As has been discussed elsewhere, one of the giants of the Computer industry died earlier this year. Dennis Ritchie co creator of both the Unix operating system and the C programming language. The Unix operating system turned 40 this year.

Lesser mortals such as those of Cupertino and Redmond have merely stood on their shoulders.

If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.
    Isaac Newton

The Strange Birth and Long Life of Unix.

2. Kernighan and Ritchie, still the handbook for all c and c++ programmers.
  3. Unix systems are 40 years old and still going strong. Linux dominates the server world. Unix underlies both Mac OS and Android. Open source goes from strength to strength.
  4. I coulda sworn Android uses Linux (kernel, not to be confused with GNU/Linux*, which is commonly refered to simply as "Linux").

*BTW, that's a detail that stood out as wrong in the article; I would have expected someone claiming to be so familiar with Unix history to make some mention of GNU is Not Unix rather than calling the entire system Linux.

Regardless, Unix was and is definitely a vitally important piece of software :nod:.
  5. You are technically and factually right. I tend to think of Unix, Linux (kernel and GNU) as "Unix-like systems" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix-like and in this sort of context, when examining the genesis and history of these systems, it's OK to lump them together. Dennis Ritchie called Linux "de-facto Unix". Of course, the reality is more complex.