Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

For The Geeks.

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Dougz, Nov 17, 2012.

1. Can someone explain to me what this new permission means in the latest facebook update????

2. It's asking for full time permission to access your webcam and sound devices whenever an application has that function, without needing your permission on an adhoc basis.

So If I write an app that pretends to be a game, but it actually turns on your webcam and streams it to the outside world, while recording the sounds in your home via the microphone, you don't need to give it permission, it already has it.

Sounds legit right?
  3. Shit. YouTube also is asking for this permission in its latest update. Maybe its time to go back to a Nokia 3310...
  4. nokia 5210 is where it's at.
  5. Wow! Give up your right to privacy with one click.

6. You are going to have to start wearing pants when on the computer now Dougz
  7. If you root the phone, you can block certain permissions such as that one with the webcam, but it'll obviously block whatever feature it is such as video calling, or take photos using the application and upload straight to Facebook.
    How to Restrict Android App Permission
  8. Thanks guys. Good tips.

I'm still gobsmacked that this is allowed though! Wtf happened to privacy?
  9. I've heard that the Android facebook app is basically a 'you give us the right to do anything we want' app. That IS Android right? (excuse my ignorance)
  10. #11 parker, Nov 17, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
    So these are the permissions basically, if you want to take a photo with the Facebook application you need the permission. Same with all the photo applications such as CameraZoom, PuddingCamera, PaperCamera etc

But as you said it COULD potentially be used whenever it wanted.

It's probably got a simply reason why the permission is there.

In the mean time you can use a old version of the app, or maybe even try a third party application.
  11. Wait, isn't this just letting the app use the cam and audio so you can post pics and video you record directly from your phone? Apps have always asked if they can use your GPS.

I think tapatalk asks a similar question.

Sure it is worded badly but I can't think of anything more boring than audio recorded off a billion peoples phones while sitting in their pockets.
  12. :ROFLMAO:
  13. who let the geeks out
  14. Especially after a good curry.