Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

For the ECO friendly rider.

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by Zealt, Feb 5, 2009.

1. I was looking through one of my fav sites and a link for this came up.

http://www.ridemission.com/mission_model/model_glimpse.shtml

Its an electric bike.

Here is a snipit.

"Top Line Components

We have complimented our groundbreaking powertrain with the best components money can buy. The Mission One is a superbike in all aspects of the word. The 2010 model comes equipped with: Ohlins inverted front forks, 43mm TiN coated tubes, Ohlins fully adjustable shock, Brembo 4 piston monobloc calipers, Marchesini wheels, and race compound tires. "

"Recharge Anywhere

The Mission One's onboard charger allows riders to recharge from any standard wall socket. Recharging from empty to full takes 2.5 hours off of a 220V outlet (8 hours off of a 110V). In California, which has the 11th highest electricity prices in the US, "filling up" your bike only costs you $1.96. "

Its also for data logging to record all your lean angles and speeds plus its got WiFi! so you can connect to it without wires. (Geeks delight!)

And you can reserve one today!!!

The blurb from engadget where i found it
    (The Mission One EV electric sports bike got a proper unveiling at this week's Technology, Entertainment, Design (TED) conference, and boy does this baby exude power. Mission Motors says the motorcycle's got an 150 MPH top speed and 100 foot-pounds of torque at any point between 0 and 6,500 RPM. That's a good deal faster than the Electric Motorsport GPR-S, which tops out at a now-paltry 100 MPH. The lithium-ion battery keeps it running for 150 miles, and charge time is targeted for under 2 Hours at 240V (8 Hours at 120V). Its stylish form factor comes from famed industrial designer Yves Behar. Yeah, we're excited, too, but here's the part where you flinch: the deathly silent super-scooter will first show up in 2010 with a 50-unit limited edition run costing $68,995 apiece. A more affordable model will be announced sometime this summer. If you've got a need for this much muted speed, be prepared to mortgage a house or two.) the link is www.engadget.com

2. And that would be on conservative riding.

My issue with full electric vehicles is that finding a place to charge would suck, if you run out of juice then you can't just pour fuel into it and go.
    That and the replacement cost of batteries.

Though as a commuter it wouldn't be to bad.

3. wtf....seriously if these "green machines" keep on costing a f tonne more than anything else they will never stop kidding themselves.

4. I love that they claim them to be 'green' when the production of key components -mainly batteries - creates a ridiculous amount of polution.

5.  Top
  6. OP...for that price I rather get a cheap 250cc and spend the rest of the money on petrol and maintenance stuff.

ezer...that is some awesome GPX. I was thinking of doing that to a trashed bike...but wasn't a cheap project for shits and giggles.

Do you know if his bike is waterproof?

phong =P~

7. I'm intrigued. Most of the posters on this thread are in their early 20s. You guys will see the end of oil as a cheap source of energy within two decades, so should be embracing technology like this bike as your future if you stay with motorcycling until you're my age. It will be the future, and it will be amazing to ride. Costs will come right down, batteries will improve, and recharging will be as simple and available as petrol stations are now; more so, as you can do it at home overnight.

Oh, and it's a furphy that the environmental impact of a battery machine, due to its production, is too high; the total lifecycle cost of this thing will eat an internal combustion engine vehicle for breakfast.

8. Looks awesome - I hope it comes with a sound system hooked up to the throttle to make exhaust noise! What's the point of a silent bike!? :LOL:

9. A huge number of power stations are coming online over the next few years. At least they were planned before the "GFC" hit.

10. i like the concept of electric bikes.
    though yves behar is one of the best industrial designers around at the moment (he doesn't normally d vehicles i think...), the pictures of the bike make it look like a dog. perhaps it will look better in real life.

frankly the bike is too expensive too late, KTM are planning to bring out electric dirtbikes for race use in 2010, with a 90kg bike weight, and battery able to last for a 40 minute race, and that should enable them to trial alot of technology for road use very quickly

the real possibilities of the electric motor in sportsbikes is the ability to control output, torque curves, acceleration, artificial power plateaus etc on the fly. different settings for tyre warmth, road surface, traffic and weather conditions etc, are all possible and can be controlled on the move.

11. as an aside, the mission bike charges to 80% of full capacity in 1 hour, so charge time is not really restrictive to any great extent, that's a lunchbreak

12. That is true, we will see the end of oil some time in the future. Though knowing what happened last time someone tried to introduce electric vehicles to the world, I can't be too sure it will be the future...I am leaning more to research in hydrogen power due to the higher profitability rate.

It's like research to cure diseases...they don't find a cure, they find a band-aid solution so that they have an on going supply of income and jack it up the price as they please.

If they start to mine on the moon, there will be heaps of heavy water for hydrogen, and from what I have read somewhere...NASA were supposedly going back to the moon.

In any case, electric bikes would be cool...though the instant torque might be a bit of a problem :shock:. Just need someone to make an electric bike like in Akira...now that's a bike :D

phong =P~

13. from what i understood yeah perfectly safe to run in all weather, the only restriction was he got cheap batteries so they dont last all that long. he got it road registered and rides it to and from the station each day so its fine.

14. like, 150 years ago?

i think the car companies will twiddle their thumbs until the last drop of oil is used

15. better they start now with a high price and low range than to start in 50 years at the same point and be forced to use it.

By the time we really need it, the tech will be ready. For the moment, early adopters will have to pay a bit of a price and make a bit of a sacrifice as with a lot of things.

16. Then you take it back to your campsite, and just hook it up to your petrol generator to recharge it. No worries and you have a very environmentally friendly bike!

17. There still powered by dinosaurs doesn't 99% of our electricity come from coal?

18. it was designed for the moto X parks in germany. if they could make the bikes quiet and non polluting they were allowed to run them in the citys without time or day restrictions

19. Early adopters always get hit with a big bill. I like the idea of electric race bikes though - great way to foot the early adopters bill.

i think the use of liquid biofuel that's generated in a sustainable way (biodiesel, ethanol) is going to be around for a while yet - the energy density of liquid fuels is still pretty damn good compared with other energy sources.

Phil

20. To be effectively marketed, imho the min spec for an electric commuter would be:

Equiv power to a standard 250cc bike.
    150km range
    Would have to look like a standard bike.
    Charge time of 1-3hours
    Air horns to counter the quietness for pedestrian safety :)
    Say 10k retail price.

Batteries have some environmental impact but that's offset against the emissions savings for the life of the bike. Sign up to green power (if you supplier allows) and you're doing even more for the environment. I love the idea of 150km travel for a few cents - bring it on.