Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

For all riders intending to use Tasmanian roads

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' started by Michelle33, Mar 23, 2016.

1. Category: | The Mercury

Take care if you intend to visit our lovely State. We have great motorcycling roads, but care is needed.

2. again, how many of these deaths/injuries are off-road motorcycles/ists?
  3. If memory serves correctly, no off-road incidents, but two of the five fatalities were an unlicenced (had a learner's permit for a car) 17yo rider, and his 31yo pillion.
  4. Such low numbers are hardly statistically significant.
    We do have to remember that the Ulysses AGM was on so there was a surge in rider numbers above usual.
    We also know that older riders are becoming increasingly represented in fatality stats.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. As far as I've read, the five fatalities are:
    • 17yo w/ 31yo pillion, both Tasmanian (head on, unregistered, unlicenced + other possible factors)
    • 51yo Tasmanian male (failed to negotiate bend, head on with car)
    • 57yo NSW female (Ulysses member, lost control, hit roadside barrier)
    • 24yo QLD male (failed to negotiate bend, hit vegetation)
    Mods feel free to edit if any of these details are out of line.
  6. The average age of serious casualty interstate motorcyclists this year has been 54. Ten out of 12 have been men. from the article quoted above.

You would expect younger casualties due to over-enthusiasm combined with inexperience but the increasing older rider component is harder to explain.
  7. Society doesn't give a shit about people who die on the road, only their family and friends do.

Humans (living beings who do things in general actually... ) will fcuk up sometimes and you can't outlaw or completely train/teach a society of individuals like you and me who sometimes push themselves too far, or have a lapse in judgement, causing these sorts of fatalities or accidents.

My brother died in his car late at night head on with a truck. He had amazing driving skills but in my opinion poor judgement of what was safe.

And guess what you could not change him. The laws couldn't (he lost his license twice and kept driving despite this both due to speeding infringements), and his parents couldn't.

What I'm trying to say is sometimes shit happens. Everywhere. At some point. And we can't change this. We shouldn't change this as that is what makes our individualist free society so great because we have the freedom to explore and experience things on our own and learn from it.... and we sometimes get really cocky.

So yeah the article is right though. Slow down, ride within your limits, and remember that you are moving really really fast and falling off sucks so so so so so so much. That's all we can say because a lot of people me included need to fall down on their own (figuratively speaking and also literally) to learn and grow. It depends how much advice you take on and the more the better but at some point we need to mess up and learn from it.

Sadly sometimes the mistakes are fatal.

Though the world is full of fatal mistakes...
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Society may not care but individuals do care albeit distantly ... I mean how can you care personally about someone you don't personally know? All you can do is empathise and sympathise. And understand the pain of grief.

Can we stop people doing crazy shit on the roads and playing Russian roulette? I dunno ... I suppose all we can do is keep on working at passing on what we know and through that trying to influence the choices people make. However in the end people still can make choices and really ... would we want to stop that??
  9. #9 Flatbush, Mar 28, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
    The syndrome of death of older riders could be because they have returned
    to motorcycling after a 10 or 20 year break.

Their skills have dropped due to lack of use, combine that with the degradation of physical abilities/senses (due to age).
    Add to that that a current 600cc sports bike has twice the power of their
    1970 Honda 750/4... Which was a missile for its time, so we (old farts) buy the latest Tupperware torpedo... GSXR thous and Aprilia RSV4s etc... A recipe for tragedy.

According to QANTAS the average Australian male reaches his physical peak at 23 years old... it's downhill from there for most.
  10. Yes I've heard a lot of this kind of reasoning but is this entirely the case? I can't help but think it is 'anecdata'.

Yes bikes are bigger and faster but the handling is light-years improved and they have brakes that actually work not to mention technologies for on-bike systems eg ABS and traction control, and tyre technology is nothing like the cross-plies of old. Sure there could be a subset of returning riders who come to grief but I don't think that's the entire answer.
    I think younger riders these days are, on the whole, better trained from the get-go which explains their decreasing share of the fatality stats ... while older riders came from that group that were dying way back then in the 80s and 90s in record numbers ... they are still riding to the same old mantras they learnt back then that didn't work then and don't work now. I think they might have been lucky up until now.
  11. #11 titus, Mar 28, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
    That's entirely possible. I personally know riders who at 50+ years of age are pushing hard to ride faster than they ever have before. And a few - me included - that acknowledge that the best is behind us no matter how hard we work on the details of technique.
    On the other hand I'd really like to see a breakdown of casualty to bike type and age. Just so we know a bit more about what the rider is doing when they crash.
  12. Yes, there is more than one contributing factor.

However the way "official" statistics are presented, "anecdata", as you succinctly put it
    is probably just as valid at times(y)

As for bikes being bigger, that is hardly the case. After all, how many people do you know
    young or old that ride a Boss Hoss.

A standard Honda from 38 years ago: