Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Footwear - sign of a true biker

Discussion in 'Boots' at netrider.net.au started by Marx, Sep 10, 2016.

1. Proper motorcycle boots.

With such easy access to credit and the internet nowadays there's no problem in fitting yourself out the correct gear to pass yourself off as a discerning biker.

Although something that gets often missed in the bike stop when you're checking the fit in their full length mirror is footwear - motorcycle boots.

Even when this rider does tick off that box of 'motorcycle boots', putting them on somewhere else than under the bed after taking all the new kit home, seems to be an insurmountable obstacle for some.

We've all seen them, riders with not less than $20k for this years 'best rated bike in its class' & as much top notch helmet/jacket/gloves that a modern credit card can manage, waiting at the traffic lights with dirty over long laces of their Nikes runners as a dead giveaway that the motorcycle is more about owning it than riding it.

Sure, I get that you use the bike for your day to day & strutting ‘bout in bike gear you can’t remove at your destination, like boots, may not be the coolest thing. But there’s a shit load of motorcycle boots you can get & wear under your ‘pants’ (reinforced bike specific casual look jeans for example) that look way smart as just casual footwear away from the bike.

It’s ironic really, as your feet are the closest part of your body to potential injury while riding, and from my limited experience, the most likely part of your riding gear that cops impact & abrasion even from just regular riding let alone an off.

I won’t even touch on casual footwear worn on long/technical rides, which would speak for itself from what else I’ve ranted on so far.

So use your head & think of your feet.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Your hands are far more likely to get hit in a collision witth the ground in my experience. Footwear is not the most important

Plus you dont wipe your bum with your feet

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. You don't wipe your bum with your feet but you do use them to walk to the toilet! :)

Helmet, gloves, boots are the absolute minimum.

ATGATT for me, get a vented jacket if you're overheating in summer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. You can always crawl to the toilet. Havent you ever been that bad after a night on the turps.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. You can still wipe your bum with one hand, but getting to the toilet on time with one foot is harder.

I think my initial post implied that motorcycle gloves were already taken as a granted.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. My mum was a Casualty nurse back in her day. One of the reasons I was 'strongly discouraged' from riding a motorbike was the number of feet she saw come off.
    Decent protective footwear is readily available these days - probably wasn't back then.
    But, it is your choice.
    I chose to get a bike, and it's one of the best things I've ever done for myself. But all those gory stories (whether real or not) have me wearing decent boots all the time.

• Like Like x 1
  7. I think MrsB's family curse of second sight must be contagious because I can see exactly where this thread is going to go. :bolt:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Nodding?

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. #9 Greydog, Sep 10, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
    For those who say decent footwear is available...no, not always.
    I have terrible trouble finding boots to fit my fat ankles and calves. In fact, NO mid length boot on the market fits me. Yes, pretty sure I've tried them all. No, the adjustable Velcro isn't adjustable enough. I currently wear a pair of Alpinestars short boots, but when I first got them, I couldn't zip them up all the way. That took time, and now, several years later, they've pretty much had it. Plus I'm not sold on the protective qualities of short boots and would prefer long.

For my 50th birthday, I asked for money so I could get a pair custom made. Had them done by Daytona via Rukka. Bitterly disappointed bc not only are they a bastard to get on (they have two zips, a short and a long), but the toe part is so deep, I can't use the gearshift lever properly. If I adjust the lever up, I hurt my back hoiking my leg up to change down.

So tempted to say fk it and buy some lace up work boots. Can't be much worse than what I'm currently wearing - the short alpinestars - and probably a damn sight cheaper!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Hey Mandy,
    To solve your problem ( sound like Dorothy Dix) one of the work boot mobs make lace up boots
    With a zip in the side as well . so you put them on and lace them up like normal boots but from then on
    You just zip and unzip em to get in and out. They are fairly water proof as well. I have a pair that I have ridden
    my bike in and they were reasonably comfortable. If you need more info gimme a yell.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Biggest issue is road bikes have folding foot pegs, so when you go down the foot peg folds and the bike decides to use your foot as an Oggy knob. One of the reasons race bikes have rigid pegs, so the riders legs don't get trapped underneath the bike.

Normally your ankle bone takes beating.

Fit race rear sets people, it's safer. You are not going to drag them on the road, and If you are, then it's only a matter of time before you check out permanently anyhow.

CC

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. I used to have good kit but never thought proper boots were important until I hit a kangaroo at 40 km/h. Everything was fine but i tore my boots apart got some road rash on my right foot. I was lucky enough to limp away in tact and needless to say I bought good boots after that life lesson. In my opinion you can't skimp on good gear as it only has to save you once.

13. I've got a pair of Rossi boots that wouldn't zip all the way up when I got them home (but they looked nice though :)). I took them to a fellow in Melbourne (Evans Leather Restoration in Royal Arcade) and he stitched a piece of leather in the upper part of each one and they've been fine since. Wasn't a particularly cheap exercise though. Also had him replace a zip at one stage as well.

• Like Like x 1
  14. I always wear my boots, I have two options for bike boots, even worn them at work a bunch of times.

I almost didnt gear up a week ago when I rode 5 minutes to the shops, but I did. I took off at the lights for an over zelous left hand turn, rear wheel slipped, I rolled on as I bounced in seat as wheel gripped, then front wheel lifted off in my first wheelie. Luckily I keep spare underwear.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. #15 Greydog, Sep 11, 2016
    Yes, I've done something similar with another pair of mid length boots. $200 for boots, $400 for alteration, and it was crap bc they only did one side, which meant the 'hump' on the front was no longer in the centre of my shin. Doing the other side too would have been another packet of $$$$.

So I have $1200 worth of boots I can't wear for long rides bc they shit me (uncomfortable).

(ETA I edited my original post....autocorrect stuffed it up. I DO know the difference btw there, they're and their. It was supposed to be "they've").

16. #16 Greydog, Sep 11, 2016
    My first boots were Rossi short boots. Didn't zip up all the way for a long time, but eventually did. They were ok, but no ankle protection.

I dread ever being in a serious accident bc there's no way to protect my ankles properly. A fellow NR credits his Sidi high end boots with saving his foot from amputation. I don't mind spending the $$$ (when I have it), but they just aren't available for me :(

And no, it isn't bc I'm on the fat side (although I am). Even at my smallest, I've always had thick calves and ankles, plus large, wide feet - it's an inherited thing. I've always had trouble buying shoes anyway.

17. Have you tried the "adventure" style boots? More shin and ankle protection than road boots but also pretty adjustable in the calf section like dirt boots. Seem to have a wider range of fitting in the calf as well.

18. Are these the ones with all the buckles?? If so, yes. But also they were too deep in the toe. I have a back issue, so lifting my leg to change down hurts.

19. Yes, buckles. Not as many os true dirt boots though. I do find mine a little deep in the toe though they're a half size too big which I've remedied with insoles.
    You might (key: MIGHT) find you can relieve some of the stress on your back with some persistent calf stretching. Being able to lift your toe a fraction higher would mean a lot less leg lifting and the back strain from it.
    Or you could get a cruiser with a heel-toe shift and some high boots that are close enough.

20. Wash your mouth out!!

Lol. :eek::ROFLMAO:

• Funny Funny x 2