Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Footpeg relocation

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by icestorm, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Does anyone know if a footpeg relocation would require engineering to be road legal?
    The fz6r is known to have low footpeg clearance.
    I have a waterjet at work and have been looking at how the footpegs on the fz6r are bolted on with just the three bolts up the front.
    I am thinking of designing my own mounting plate that would bolt onto the original spot but allow me to have multiple positions for the footpeg/gearshift/backbrake.
    So i could have a high comfort highway travel position, normal position for everyday riding and a higher bring on the twisites position.
    I would use a high strength alloy.
    This isn't something to sell just for my own bike.

2. I doubt it. Aftermarket rearsets for sports bikes are everywhere and the good ones usually include different mounting points to change the peg position.
  3. Footpegs are not structural so you shouldn't have any problem. From Vehicle Standards Bulletin Light Vehicles Construction & Modification

The controls for motorcycles are standardised, therefore the position and operation of foot and
    hand controls must be kept, as far as practicable, to the manufacturer’s original specification.
    For example, if the rider’s footrests are moved rearwards (that is, converted to “rear sets”) it is
    not permissible to reverse or invert the gear lever. For safety reasons, the only acceptable
    method for this conversion is to fit a linkage, which keeps the gear change pattern the same as
    the original.
  4. sweet thanks
  5. So you can make rearsets for a good price? :-k
    Or at least adapter plates...
  6. will have a look at it over the weekend, digitize some pints on the bike and see what i can come up with.
  7. Make it look tidy and I doubt if anyone would ever notice.
  8. i run Valtar Moto adjustment plates on my stock foot peg assemblies. i have the pegs 2" further back, and can go up another inch if needed for ground clearance.

at around $100/set, including adapters to lengthen the shifter rod, all fasteners, etc... was a quick & easy solution, and to my knowledge, completely legal.