Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Foot position when changing gear frequently

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by zenali, Aug 21, 2008.

1. I've been reading about where to put my feet on the pegs and the consensus seems to be that the balls of your feet should be resting on the pegs. I can see why - it means you are able to lean the bike a long way over without your foot hitting the ground.

Only, I'm not likely to be leaning the bike over very far as I buzz around the CBD. And with such a little bike I'm changing gears a lot. So it seems as though I spend much more time with my toes hovering near the gear lever or the brake lever.

Should I be trying to pull my foot back on the peg after each up-shift and down-shift? Or is it fairly common for commuter traffic riding to be less than ideal when it comes to foot position?

2. Stay on your arches then move to the balls as you tip into a corner. With your feet hanging right forward it won't be long before you're digging your toes into the tarmac, might as well get in the habit.

3. your foot should be on the pegs even when you change gears , how short are your feet?
    I leave mine resting on the pegs and over the gear lever, as you never know when you need to change down quickly

but Im sure some expert here will say Im wrong anyway

4. Comprehension 101 Tom.

5.  Top
  6. Thanks guys!

So the consensus is to have the arch of my foot resting on the peg, sort of mid-way between having the ball of my foot on the peg and having my toe far enough forward to touch the pedal. Close enough to reach the gear lever quickly, but far enough back that I can shift my foot further back onto the peg if I lean into a turn.

Does that sound about right?

(If it stops raining this evening I'll get out on the bike and give it a try.)

8. Don't worry too much about it Ali, the foot position thing doesn't really start making a difference until you're cornering hard.

9. :grin: humerous

10. I figure that I'm not likely to be dragging toes on the tarmac any time soon, but at the same time I don't want to be getting into bad habits.

(Well... worse than stalling at the lights when there are cars lined up behind me and then bunny hopping across the intersection anyway... Why that only happens in the CBD with cars and pedestrians to witness is a mystery!)

11. I think that happens to all of us new riders... I 'learned' in the sticks, with no traffic around... I could do hill starts, slow riding, no stalls, I was doing okay... I pull up in traffic on my first ride in the more populated areas, lots of traffic behind me, lights only stay green for a short amount of time.... and boom, stall, followed by panic restart, revving the crap out of the engine and bunny hopping (followed by another stall) across the lights. I think the nerves about stalling make you so nervous that you do actually stall.

12. That is exactly it! I stalled three times last night, and prior to that I'd only ever stalled once. I don't think I ever stalled out in the paddocks, and I didn't stall at all during the learners test or the practice session I did at HART a few weeks ago.

One thing that was interesting was that when my wife was following me in the car I didn't worry about being rear ended or holding up traffic, so I was fine. I guess sitting in front of real traffic can give a bit of stage fright!

13. $0.02

Don't get too hung up about it. Use whatever suits or is most comfortable for you. There's no "right" or "wrong" foot position.

Having said that, I find that keeping the balls of my feet on the pegs allows me to move around on the bike and tuck in more easily.

If you've got long legs/small bike this may be more uncomfortable as your legs are bent more.

Riding with your foot on or near the gear lever means it's a bit closer when you need to change gear, but as you generally know when you want to change gear it's no real advantage. Also if you go over a bump you might inadvertantly change down a gear...

But like I said, whatever works for you.

14. Thanks y'all. I really appreciate the advice. Hopefully I'll actually be able to benefit from it too. :)

15. Agreed, accept about the knowing when to change gears bit. Knowing when to change gears is ok, but you never know when you'll need to get on the brakes all of a sudden. I can see the "advantages" or comforts of both but having your foot hovering over the brake pedal obviously reduces reaction time.

Lol how? Incase youve inadvertantly got the clutch in too without knowing?

16. Don't need to pull in the clutch to shift, afaik.

17. Particularly true when shifting up (ala racing up shifts), but I don't know about when down shifting. Not sure how you would unload the engine enough to shift down without using the clutch?

M.

18. +1
    I've recently got into the habit of keeping the balls of my feet on the pegs.
    As I take of, the balls of my right foot rests up on the pegs, my left foot on its arch until I've finished gear changing, then up it goes.
    When cornering, my feet are always up also.
    ( Hoping I'm doing the right thing, I'd hate to give bad advice )

19. Lol, what bike are you on?

20. Something you might like to look at the next time you buy boots is the thickness of the soles. When I bought my new boots I noticed many of them have really thick soles. This means you have to angulate your ankle more to get your foot over and under the lever. The SiDi touring boots I bought have a thinner but still strong sole than the other boots on offer that day and make for snappier and more comfortable changes.