Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Foot hitting the road could hurt, no?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Brmmm, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Strange thing happened as I was going round a corner on a 50k suburban road this afternoon. Sharpish Right hand corner (happens to be my favourite side) and I leant over a bit more than usual and got my foot (toes) scraping the ground. What the? I wasn't expecting that - somehow I always imagined the peg would hit the ground first. Obviously I had my arch on the peg, not the balls of my feet.

Lucky I wasn't squidding it. Well I'm ATGATT I guess so that's not going to happen anytime soon.

Not much damage to the boot I was glad to notice. Those Docs hold up well I reckon.
  2. and theres your mistake
  3. I'd damn well hope not. If there was I'd be back at the store asking for a refund.

As for touching down, with the low pegs of the spada I could get touch my boots down by weaving in a straight line. It's really nothing too extreme.
  4. Yeah funny thing is, I had started to keep the balls of my feet on the pegs most of the time, until when I did the MOST day. The instructor said we should have our arch there - I think the rationale was being quicker or easier to get to the rear brake. Hopefully Robs not reading this, I know he loves that rear brake ;)

So now its balls for the twisties and arches for the commuting type stuff.

Should I just go back to what I was doing before?
  5. Its quite unerving when the toes are scraping, If the toe digs in, you can snap a foot off, or cause the bike to jump because of the obstruction, best to keep your toes up, instead of pointing down.
  6. I had the same thing happen in my first month of riding and I it scared the absolute begeesus out of me as my toe somewhat dug in.

Ozyoda set me straight and I'm all balls now!
  7. I had only been riding for a few months when I had the same experience John. Since then I've done the balls of the feet thing. And the Stay Upright instructor also told me I should have my arches on the pegs too. Mind you he had the feet of a ballerina and I have to wear boats instead of boots :D

Following a few more experienced riders I've noticed that they pretty much all shift their feet positions very quickly once the bike is moving so the balls of the feet are on the pegs.

Fun Ha!
  8. Yeah, agree that ball of the feet good idea around corners but understand the instructors case for arc as you'd be ready for any sudden requirement for braking or gear changes.
    I seem to be constantly changing, ball of feet around twisties, and on longer rides like to vary feet (and slightly change how I sit on seat) as changing them helps with the stress of staying in the same position for long periods of time.
  9. The instructors are catering to the absolute lowest common denominator. They shouldn't really do that, since it reinforces and institutionalises bad habits. If you ride with the arch of your feet on the pegs you will get lazy and point your toes down for sure. Then as soon as you turn any decent corner you will touch your toes down.

Get out of the habit now. Being up on the balls of your feet tends to require a little more effort and thought, which prevents getting lazy feet, and ruining your boots, or losing a toe.
  10. Grinding chamfers on your boot soles is fun :D. Unless you're doing something very wrong, the touchdown is generally gentle and progessive and nothing much to worry about.

As long as the road isn't too potholed; then it carries some risk.

Should be riding balls on pegs though. Then you can get a bit more lean before it happens.
  11. Arches/balls is fairly situation-dependent; If you need to cover the brake, arches away. If you need the ground clearance, balls.

I remember when I was first learning (on my lil' VTR250), at first I had difficulty confidently and swiftly changing foot positions from one to the other, so I was reluctant to ride with the balls of the feet on the pegs.

After a few weeks, though, no worries at all. Swift, accurate and subconscious. :)
  12. I quite like the rear brake. I just don't like its inappropriate use and the fact that its possible dangers are misunderstood... :)

That's what I do.
  13. Spot on mate. The instructions are to simplistic.
    I will occasionally have my feet on the arches, but my foot is almost parallel to the road, so I am tucked up safely out of harms way. It's not wrong if you do it right, but if you get lazy and ride "duck footed", you risk losing a foot.

I'm on the balls of my feet the majority of the time, and come off them in commuter traffic, only as required.

14. I "duck foot" when i'm riding in a straight line because imo its safer.

And when i am approaching a corner my inside foot shifts to the ball and the outside foot shifts very slightly towards the ball too, although i think this is more of a natural thing.
  15. Thanks for the responses guys. It all makes much more sense. Horses for courses which is what my gut instinct was.
  16. "duck-footed" riding is when you allow your foot to hang down on heels of your boots, so your toes are basically pointing at the ground.

That is nothing like riding on the arch of your feet, keeping them more or less parallel with the road (toes up, over the gear and brake levers)

If you ARE actually riding "duck-footed", then get off your arsk, and ride the bike properly. It'll both save your feet from injury, and you won't look stupid while riding. Take some pride in your riding ffs!

In your case I suspect you may have just misunderstood the term and are in fact NOT riding that way, but at least it is said for the benefit of others.
  17. one day when sliding my feet in the rain.... did i mention those reflector bumps hurt?
  18. Sounds like i misunderstood the term. I never ride with my heels on the pegs.

I think i was getting confused because i've been around riders and Q-ride instructors who associated the "feet pointed outwards" motion with the term "duck". Hence, i thought i was riding around "duck-footed" but really i am just on my arches with toes pointed slightly outwards for comfort. Assuming i'm cruising around in straight lines.
  19. Heh, yeah, I may have been letting my feet hover above the road on the freeway one day, and may have observed a huge chunk of delaminated retread on the lane.

Casually drifted one bike width to the side to avoid the debris, but in my cool, suave, minimum-energy-expended pride I forgot my feet were still dangling.

20. I have the arch of my foot on the peg usually though I should have the balls of my feet on the pegs (trying to change the habit of a lifetime).

I went round a 35km/hr corner once and accidentally changed up a gear when my foot got jammed between the road and my gear lever...... my ass chewed a piece out of my seat at the same time.