Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Follow-Up Q: How many people had more than one LAMS bike?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by dan_, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Only had one LAMS bike - and loved it for the whole L/P duration (compare with next option)

2. Only had one LAMS bike - but would have upgraded to a more powerful LAMS bike early as my ability pr

0 vote(s)
  3. Only had one LAMS bike - but I chose poorly (for style, lack of ability, size/height, etc.) and wish

0 vote(s)
  4. Had 2+ LAMS bikes - wrote off the first one(s)

0 vote(s)
  5. Had 2+ LAMS bikes - felt the need to upgrade early (more power)

0 vote(s)
  6. Had 2+ LAMS bikes - the first bike I chose was wrong for me (ability, size/height, style, etc.)

0 vote(s)
  7. Had 2+ bikes - upgraded from LAMS to unrestricted early because I wrote of the LAMS bike and I wasn'

0 vote(s)
  1. Thank you to all 100+ people who responded to the last question!

Round 2:

So now that LAMS allows us to increase the size/capacity of our bikes whilst still being restricted as a learner:

How many people owned more than one LAMS bike?

(If you are pre-LAMS, the poll options should still be applicable.)

This poll should include data for people who went from scooters to bikes - count your scooter as your first LAMS bike if you were restricted whilst using it.

2. I kinda don't fit neatly into any 1 of those categories. I've had 4 bikes:

Bike 1 ZZR250 - crashed by my brother who bought me as a replacement

Bike 2 ZZR250 - used as my learner bike and then sold to help fund my honeymoon

Then when finances allowed for a bike again my wife decided she wanted to get her licence as well so

Bike 3 GN250 - so my wife could learn on it and as the perfect bike for the most test. It's a nice and cheap local commuter and still good for fun ride but something with more power would be nicer and my wife decided she was ready to start riding to work in Sydney so it was time to add

Bike 4 GS500 - this is alongside the GN250 so now we're sharing 2 LAMS bikes between us depending on who's doing what riding. So i guess that's really 4 LAMS bikes between 2 people but I've progressed through all 4
  3. What about "just bought whatever bike I felt like riding at the time - without caring if it was LAMS or not?"

When I started riding there were no restrictions at all. I started on a 125 AS1 Yamaha, went to a 250 Bultaco Metralla and then to the biggest bike Honda made at the time - the mighty CB450 DOHC. :LOL:

Over the years I've gone from 750 to 350 to 1000 to 125 to 650 etc. and now both my bikes are actually LAMS approved (barely). Owning a motorcycle isn't (or shouldn't) be nothing but a quest for more power - it's about the riding experience. The funny thing is, many of the bikes I remember most fondly and wish I still had tend to be the smaller ones - the RD Yamahas and the Bultaco in particular. I suspect a lot of the older riders here probably can say the same.
  4. I didn't mean to buy a second LAMS bike.

I was sick of the across' lack of balls and flouting the laws (even though LAMS was in) I went out and bought a Big Nasty Torquey (all beit not crazily fast) Rip Snorting 800cc Streetfightetered Supermotard.

I had a quiet little chuckle to myself when I recieved a letter in the mail a few weeks later telling me my bike has been given LAMS approval :LOL:
  5. I only had a VTR250 (pre-LAMS), ultimately loved it.

Probably would have kept it for longer except I really needed something with just a bit more legroom for long-distance sports-touring, being the tall bastard I am. VTR250 was a total hoot of a bike around Melbourne city. :grin:
  6. Isn't there a 650cc restriction under LAMS?
  7. yes, but there are always exceptions (slipups)

but ive been pulled over a few times so as far as vicroads and vicpol are concerned its LAMS
  8. We don't have LAMS in Qld, but I had the Spada and then the GSXF400, both of which would have been LAMS, before moving on to the Bandit. Of course, I had an open license the whole time, and was held back by budget and my own estimation of my skills rather than by the law.
  9. What do they think it is?

Here in the ACT, there is no cc restriction, hence my vx800. Plus a bike can be added to the list by sending in an application form and a set of specs showing that the bike complies to the 150kw/t, so there are random bikes such as the suzi gsx600f that is on the list due to someone applying with the european restricted model specs.

(Sorry for the hijack :oops:)
  10. Whats with the terrible poll structure? :p Less is more !
  11. I have 2 lams bike, 1 for the road and 1 for the track.
  12. I've had 3 bikes that are LAMS...
    Postie, ZZR250, GS500!
    Written off none, just upgraded as desire and money arose.

I'd like a Bonneville / W650 next.
  13. Every bike I've ever owned now falls within the LAMS category. The whole (SR500) Club of which I'm a member, populated by guys most of which have decades of experience riding and building bikes, is centred around what is now a LAMS bike. As a rider with an open license, the LAMS category is meaningless to me when it comes to desiring or buying bikes - I just buy what I like, and a lot of what I like is LAMS approved. Six months ago getting a 350cc was getting upgrading, now it means moving above 650cc - pfft! Silly!
  14. sorry to co-jac

they know its a 750 and has the 800 engine.

the 750 is lams in ACT due to the reasons you describe

the previous owner put in the paper work to have it lams approved here in VIC i think
  15. ^This.

I've probably owned 5 or 6 lams bikes, but some of them were very exotic, fun machinery.

For some people, there's more to motorcycling than just power and speed.

I'm on my full licence, but the next bike will probably be a lams bike.
  16. I picked No. 1 option, but I feel I should point out that the "complete duration" of the L/P period for me was a total of 2 1/2 months. So it ended up being a fairly expensive bike, when I had to trade to something bigger so soon. But saying that after 3000km in that time, can not wait a second longer to upgrade.
  17. TonyE and Kols_kebabs:

I know riding should be about the bike that gives you the biggest grin, regardless of specifications.

I'm particularly focussed on LAMS bikes because I'd like to discern the habits of L/P riders, and their pattern of motorcycle purchasing (hence the previous poll on method of purchase).

Many poll options might make a nuisance of the numbers for you - but I'm trying to learn about the finer details... which would normally involve a series of questions (i'm trying to get them all in at once!)

A few things I've noticed these days of novice riders is that:

1, most are rather nervous about bike selection and never take advantage of test-riding to discover what style and capacity suits them;

2, the most nervous of these choose CBR125R's (or similar) and end up upgrading merely months after their initial purchase at significant cost;

3, riders who bought cheaply fill the forums with "how do I know if I bought a dud bike" (the point being more about unwanted anxiety compounding an already excruciating decision);

4, most riders skimp on their first bike with the expectation of destroying it and then rarely do;

5, most riders who bought a middle of the road bike (as opposed to largly "underpowered") are reluctant to upgrade to another lams bike, mainly due to the cost, when they see an upgrade to an unrestricted bike as a better purchase (even though they could use a good deal more time on a model that would allow them to upskill more readily - I myself fall within this category)

6, riders that spend bigger on a new/better quality (or just more expensive?) bike, seem to keep their rides longer (could be a false assumption) - I.e the VTR250, GS500F contingent

7, due to the licence restriction laws and the corresponding inflated prices for basic (read: LAMS) bikes, riders don't have the incentive to upgrade their bikes in a pattern that relates to their skill level

8,9,10... the list can go on... but it basically shows that to avoid financial penalty new riders will really skimp on purchases, to their riding detriment; and those with the means will explore all of their riding options, to their financial detriment...

I'm trying to research whether it would be a good idea to offer a sort of "long term hire of bikes" program (i.e, for the min. 15 months of L/P's) to eliminate many of these problems that new riders face. Riders would not have to worry about the financial penalty associated with bike purchases (stamp duty, rego x2, CTP x2, comprehensive insurance x2, initial outlay, depreciation, finance charges/interest, servicing, maintenance) so that would allow them to start small and progress through a full range of learner bikes at their pace. They could spend months on each a cruiser, naked, faired, motard, etc. and chop and change as they see fit. They would never have to worry about the quality of the bike they're on, nor experience any down-time if their bike were to be incapacitated for any reason - they'd just swap it over.... all for the cost (or very similar) of buying, owning and selling a single bike for the full duration of their L/P period (except without having to spend months saving for the initial outlay of big $'s, nor worrying about being approved for finance as it could be paid monthly with cash or credit card - 55 days interest free on CC purchases for some people, too).

I'm still trying to work out the economics of the project though - and I'm not sure if the idea would take off because I can't judge how people would react to the "hiring" idea even though it would be as cheap as buying, using and then selling your own...

The point is: I'd like to make it really inviting, easy, trouble-/worry-free and cheap for people to get into riding!

anyone with a critique?
  18. I went from a Honda SL250 to the Hornet within 4 months of getting my 'L's
  19. Dan, its a nice idea but I think the two big problems will be:
    1. People want to own their own bike and modify/play with it.
    2. Young riders generally will thrash something they don't own/have to maintain. (Apologies to both you sensible young riders) :grin:
    I wish you well with it!
  20. ditto

ive been unrestricted for a long time but im on a LAMS bike ATM. there is more to bikes than top speed :LOL: