Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

News Foiling Bike Thieves

Discussion in 'Motorcycling News' started by NetriderBot, Jan 30, 2016.

1. How to keep the thieves from grabbing your prized two-wheeler?

Locks are a good first line of defense. But those vary and sometimes you may not have one. So here are a few tips, most of which seem like common sense, but we all need a good reminder now and then.

• Hide it if you aren’t riding it. If you have a garage or shed, use the damn thing and put your bike out of sight!
    • Keep it where you can see it. Road trips mean stops and stops mean you have to leave your bike somewhere. If you stop to eat, park it by the restaurant window. If you stop to leak, park it where everyone else can see it. If it’s dark, park it as close to a well lit area as possible.
    • Kill the switch. A hidden kill switch can stop sticky fingers from hotwiring your bike. Don’t want to go that far. Pull a spark plug wire or even the spark plug itself.
    • Make some noise. An alarm can work wonders. It’s even better if they also come with above-mentioned kill switch.
    • Box it in. If you can wedge your bike into a small gap or space between two buildings or structures of some sort, that’s way better than leaving your ride out in the open.

When you’re out on the road and all else fails, try parking it in your motel room. Of course, this means some sneaky after dark work, but the worst that can happen is that someone tells you to take it outside.

Continue reading...
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Ride a scooter and you don't have to worry about thieves...............:p
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Perhaps a motorcycle version of this might help?

• Funny Funny x 3
  4. Many moons ago when I was a 1st year apprentice electrician, with just enough knowledge to be dangerous, some low life had a crack at nicking my pride and joy. They stuffed the ignition and steering locks by trying to force them with screw drivers so I plugged a 240 volt extension lead into the power point, ran it out to the bike and covered the lead with leaves then put a rubber pad under the side stand and connected the extension lead hot wire to the bike frame.
    Being a smart arse I wet the surrounding area with the hose to increase my catch rate and sure enough at 2.00AM there was an ungodly scream and my bike was never touched again.

PLEASE DO NOT use this method of theft prevention ... Really lucky the bastard didn't get fried and resulted in me living in jail for awhile.

I do wish we had today's surveillance cams back then as it would have been priceless to watch. Am guessing that low life might have had a career change.......
    • Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1

5. I like your method. If you would do it with an electric fence energizer, it would be safe; but the ungodly scream would be at least as loud. :blackeye:
    • Like Like x 1
  6. We had tv tech here in town that hooked up the 240v live connection to the metal frame of an old telly and disconnected the ground. They found the thief that had been breaking in and stealing people's tvs flat on his back in the shop the next morning. He survived, but the tv tech faced court over it.

I'm not saying I'm opposed to this method by the way, bike thieves deserve worse imho, just that hiding bodies undetected in the city is harder than people think.
  7. Some disk locks have alarms on them. Disturbing the bike will sound the alarm. Park as close as practicable to where you sleep. My bike is parked outside my bedroom window and I have a noisy, suspicious dog. She is better than the alarm, actually.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. I thought of using fake vomit on the seat, but stuff that - East Coast CruiserEast Coast Cruiser has a much better idea. The biggest crime in that was not having surveillance camera's to catch the action. You'd have made a fortune with adds on youtube I reckon. ;)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. I use one (Bunnings even sells them now days) and at home have a cable around a post to the back wheel disk lock. I'm hoping it is just too much of a pain in the arse for anyone to get through the cable, triggering the disk lock alarm in the process, then deal with the disk lock....
  10. Insure your bike for way more than u paid for it and sleep easy.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. If you use the 240v trick, just make sure you roll up the cable and put that broken lamp with a smashed bulb across the frame...you know, the one that the thief must have knocked over

If you want boobytraps you should see the stuff in SouthAfrica used to protect cars: airbags, harpoons, flame throwers, bullets set to go off etc....cops saw it as fair game
  12. Tesla18Week2FullBright3000_small.

This Tesla device looks like it might work too.
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Below is a link to a reddit 'Ask Me Anything" thread started by a former motorcycle thief. He breaks down what security devices actually work, how he stole them and what they did with them. Interesting read. He says the alarmed disk locks are easy to get around.

EX Thief & "chop-shop" operator AMA • /r/motorcycles
    • Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  14. That is an interesting read.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. I agree, lots of info in there. Maybe I'd rather be ignorant about how easy it is to defeat security measures....
  16. fcuking scumbag is right
  17. I think something that sort of stuck out to me was while it was not stated, several different measures would increase the difficulty. Different tools would be needed. They all take time. There is only so much that one can carry in a small backpack.

Time is more or less important depending on how secret your location is - secret locations afford all sorts of time.

If you have measures, which include alarms, assume your seat will be removed to look for them. They have to be well hidden. Announcing their presence or trying to fool thieves into believing they are there when they are not will make no difference, really. They will look and deal with. You have a chance with a surprise.

Most thefts involve surveillance. The thief knows what they are up against.

Now, some personal experience. Thieves rarely try for the unknown. Why would you try to bust through a door if you did not know what was on the other side. Best location? Inside a locked shipping container or between buildings with a large solid steel gate with no vision past. Even the best lock can be beat with the right tools, but why would you bother if you thought it might come to nothing.

Things like track cams, infrared or otherwise won't stop a theft, but might help identify the perp, if they don't steal the cameral too. Make sure they are well hidden and close. You want face shots.

Cheap, solar powered motion sensor lights are a surprisingly effective deterrent to night time theft for their cost.

The best deterrent is a low value bike parked any way you like. They won't steal it if they don't want it/has no significant market value.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. I've mentioned this prior but my insurance has a $1000 excess for damage from Attempted theft. So I've stopped using my disc lock as if it saves my bike but stuffs my discs it may be more expensive to fix.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Wow 1k excess that's pretty expensive are you on restrictions ?