Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Fogg Off Thermal Mask

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by taiheung, Jul 23, 2008.

1. http://www.bikebiz.com.au/enter.html?lmd=39534.728657

Okay - I picked this up with a new sports jacket as I needed something more substantial than a scalf to protect me from the wind. I have to say, for $40 there's nothing this thing does that a neck scalf can't do better. I don't want to be too critical of the product as I think it has a lot to do with my helmet but I've found this thing restrictive, claustrophobic and a pain to use. I say that my helmet compounds the issues as it has a wind deflector underneath which I think pushes the breathing 'funnel' out of place (there is a rectangular tube that runs down to the chin to let you breathe out of it).

The other major negative which I think would be common across all helmets is that it does not cut out wind noise as it does not seal around the bottom of the helmet, infact it caused my helmet to be so noisy I couldn't hear my bike at higher speeds - and it's not exactly quiet.

I have a feeling that this product may be more ideally suited to an open face helmet where the helmet does not crush the tube against your chin or do a rider in a more upright position. It would also not hurt to have a more prominent bridge on your nose to allow the wire to mould better. I have a soft bridge and small nose so even though it does have a wire frame to mould around to it, air still escaped out and shot up into my eyes.

Recommendation? Save your money - get a neck sock or chunky scalf!

Rating: 3/5

2. Recommendation? Save your money - get a neck sock or chunky scalf!

There's already a thread that discusses this problem, started, I think, by Smee. I have comments in there too. Suffice it to say I tend to agree with you. If the material was thinner and was suited to people who wear glasses then it'd probably be OK.

I'm going to modify a thinsulate style balaclava and sew a vinyl patch that will surround my nose and mouth and to have an opening that will accept the Fogg off's vent.

The vinyl will hopefully prevent the hot breath from permeating the balaclava and with a bit of luck instead vent out through the vent.

Thus I will have an anti-fogg neck and head warmer that's comfortable to wear and doesn't interfere with my specs.