Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Foam Filters - Questions Questions

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by Jimboss, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Hi guys Im thinking of getting a foam filter for my bike (i use it mainly for road riding) my current bike has an expensive paper filter - bloody Honda - What I wanted to know is how long do foam filters last (city riding) , how many times can you clean and re-oil? Also what brand foam filters are out there all I know off are UniFilter. Where to get one in SE suburbs VIC? And are there any performance issues between paper and foam. Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks Jimboss

2. you would be better off with an aftermarket cotton/paper element filter as in a K&N, DNA or BMC the K&N is guarenteed for 1.6 million kms (not sure about the other 2) and they are a hell of a lot eisier to look after than true foam filters, they will cost arround the $100 mark but will last the life of the bike and beyond
  3. Hey sluglie,
    I'm also in the market for a new air filter... Peter Stevens want $53 for a paper one! Bloody Hell!!! I'd prefer to spend $100 on an aftermarket one that will last, but am having trouble finding one for my 03 vtr250... any one out there know what I should be looking for?
  4. I have a unifilter in mine. As far as I know the re-oil life is infinite. Ubviously not, but not shorter then the bike life.

One thing to keep in mind is the filter access. If it's hard to get to your filter then it's pretty easy to "forget" to re-oil regully.

That reminds me. . . . .
  5. Yep, already checked out these sites... no vtr250 listed :(
  6. does it have the same air box as another bike? may be the CBR 250???
  7. Unifilter is a bit of a backyard operation. maybe if you contact them they might be able to sort somehting out.

Maybe a fellow vtr250 rider from sydney may be able to go up and get measured for this.
  8. Hi guys - I had no luck with K&N but HALLELUUUYA Uni filter have got one - Thank you