Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

FNP Would it change how you ride?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Jem, May 6, 2013.

Would a front plate change how you ride ?

Poll closed May 14, 2013.
  1. Yes

2 vote(s)
  2. No

73 vote(s)
  1. Hi,

I was going to put this in the current FNP thread in Politics but decieded it was not about politics so have started a new thread instead here.

So here is a thought provoker :-

"Would you change your riding if you had a front plate on?"

I have thought long and hard about this and the answer for me is no it would not.

Now admittedly I am only a commuter so cannot talk about weekends in the twisties.

That said I currently ride at an appropriate speed to keep me safe from other road users along my commute which is all posted at 60kmph. Sometimes I am doing 35 and sometimes I am doing 75 it all depends on what is happening in the traffic flow around me and making sure I have escape routes and am clear of others who I clearly cannot trust to be predictable in taffic. (You know the ones on the phone eating breakfast etc) Sometimes that involves getting out in front of them sometimes it means slowing down and letting them get out of the my way till I find an appropriate way around and away from them.

Much as those in authority might think that a number on the front of my bike or the fear of a fine might change my behaviour I hate to tell them but keeping alive is allways going to win for me.

Interseted to see what others thoughts are on this.

Cheers Jeremy
  2. nope. not at all.

i slow down for cameras anyway cause i dont know which way they face, and police will chase me regardless of whether i have a plate or not... so it makes bugger all difference at all to how i ride.

it will make a difference to whether i pay for citilink.
  3. No because I can't fit a front plate on my bike
    The end
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. anyone who thinks that the absence of FNP contributes to speeding doesn't know what they are talking about. AFAIK even the TAC/Vicpol statistics don't back ths one up.
  5. Zero change for me. I drive my car like a total prat. Least on the bike I'm riding for my safety. Don't see how a FNP would change that.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Every now and then I filter to the front, only to find a HWY cop facing me from the other side of the lights. I do wonder if I we wouldn't receive more tickets in the mail if we had front number plates, for this alone.
  7. I have a quick removable front screen, the only place to mount the front number plate (sticker I assume) is to the screen.

What do they think is going to happen when I remove my screen during summer?
  8. I started riding motorcycles because I can speed with impunity due to no FNP!

Umm, no I didn't. It didn't factor in to my choice to ride a motorcycle in the slightest. Won't change the way I ride at all (currently timidly and with great caution :p )
  9. It wouldn't change the way I ride at all, it would just irritate me having to have an ugly plate on the front.

It would most likely make me ill disposed to the party in government when it was mandated.
    • Creative Creative x 1
  10. No. I'm clueless to which direction they face anyway.
  11. i would just have to ride faster to offset the drag from the new piece of metal on the front :)
  12. Not at all. I don't ride like a complete numpty & don't think I'm a slouch either. Just means its another ugly plate I have to have on my bike.
  13. #13 titus, May 6, 2013
    Last edited: May 6, 2013
    You'll get an infringement for not displaying your FNP?

Actually, now you've got me thinking...
    I've got a mini screen on a kind of flexible mount. I'ts aftermarket but it's the only practical place to put a sticker (or fixed plate). Trouble is, it kinda bends back with the windblast at higher speeds. :)
    Never mind, I can hold it in place by putting my hand over the top of it :sneaky:
    • Like Like x 1
  14. No I ride within my limits at whatever speed I'm happy with keep myself safe and the people I ride with
  15. Not in the slightest. Why is it so hard to change the direction of speed cameras anyway? Which brainiac decided that forward facing is the best option? I suppose a FNP would lead to more wheelies :rolleyes:
  16. Not in the slightest.

I'm not defacing my bike with a sticker on the headlight that will fade and have to be replaced every year at my cost. There is no way to mount a standard plate on all formats of bikes, VicRoads already spent heaps working that out. There is one answer and one only, they screwed up buying the wrong cameras so we're not paying for them to buy new ones that face the rear.

For all those calling for plates on Bicycles, you reap what you sow.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Stupid question, why is it that NSW seems to be able to buy cameras that take a photo of the back of the vehicle but Vic can't?
  18. they were sold out of front facing camera's after the Vics bought them all
  19. I'm guessing because nsw cameras don't catch people by surprise. Front facing cameras take the picture 20 m earlier so less time to brake= more money.
  20. And we sign post our cameras 200m either side.