Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Flying debris nearly kills me - Cover your load!

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' started by Turk, May 4, 2011.

1. Ive only been riding for a few weeks and I sure got tested in my reaction time and skills this morning. Doing 80 on James Ruse Drive behind a truck go to overtake and as I pop over to the right lane there are three huge industrial "things" (no idea what they were just that they looked heavy and painful) basketball sized bouncing along my new lane heading straight for me.

I'm blocked by a barrier on my right and the truck I just passed on my left so no changing lanes for me. Lean left then right dodging these "things" and as they got close I lose sight of them and only prayed that I got through without getting clipped. Doing slalom through 3 objects in like a staggered formation (I think somebody wanted to truly test me) at 90kph is very very unnerving.

And I had no idea where they came from, the truck I passed couldn't of dropped it... Can divine intervention try to kill you as well save you because I swear they were aiming from me and just materialised out of nowhere.
  2. Good to see you accelerated through it ;) :D :rofl:

Good job on staying upright. Lots of people have stories similar to yours...
  3. haha I didnt see them until after I accelerated to overtake, the truck was big :).
  4. that's an eye-opener for a newish rider :shock:
  5. http://half-life.wikia.com/wiki/Rollermine

You are very lucky, those things are nasty
  6. Yep thats what it was. Reading that article it seems I was lucky they didn't explode as I didn't have a medkit handy :).

Oh and btw on the drive back I saw them still on the road, looked like a giant (10") pod style air filter with a metal frame.

I was thinking actually that I could of been knocked off the bike safer in a car etc, but then realised If i was in a car they would of dented my bonnet and maybe smashed my windscreen.