Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Fluids - car vs bike

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by raging, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Hi,

Is there any difference between brake fluid/coolant for cars vs bikes.

Seems the bike stuff is a few extra dollars then those targeted at cars at super cheap. Is is worth spending the extra for bike specific stuff or am I throwing the pennies away ?

2. Brake fluid and coolants have specifications - as long as you meet those specifications, all good.

As long as you buy decent quality from a reputable manufacturer, where the product meets the relevant specs (eg DOT4 etc), then all good.
  3. There shouldn't be a difference between car and bike but there's different grades of brake, and different sorts of coolant.

Whatever brake DOT level your bike manufacturer says, or above.

Don't mix red and green coolant.
  4. Excellent, thanks for the quick replies.

So brake fluid is easy, just make sure it's dot 4, and replace the whole lot.

For the coolant, the bike manual specs just says "Mobil Anti-freeze", as there is no standards, what do I look out for when buying coolant ?
  5. Coolant - same colour as what's in there now and you won't go too far wrong. Unless you want to buy bees-knees waterless coolant and then never replace it again...

Brake fluid - if it says DOT4 on the cap of the master cylinder, then DOT4 it is. I'm a believe in a complete brake fluid exchange every 2 years.