Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Flooding in the morning.

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Lurch, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Hey guys.

The old GPz is giving me greif again :( Its been good for a while, but now every morning, it floods and wont start.
    Come afternoon, it will start first time, everytime, but naturally when I'm trying to get to work - she'll start, run for a second or two, then die. And that's all she wrote. I can have another go about 1/2 an hour later once (I assume) the flooded petrol drains out.

What should I be looking for? unfortunately my usual mechanic is out of town for a while :( I've checked the idle mixtures on all the carbs - they're right, perhaps a little on the rich side. I experimented with leaning them out, but to no avail. I did notice the idle speed was up a bit - would this affect it? Also the float levels were only checked and adjusted about a fortnight ago.

2. my gpz 250 did this when there was crap in the carbs.
  3. Had teh carbies cleaned and serviced less than a month ago :(
  4. I had a Z 650, same engine family.
    There's a technique to starting these donks when it gets cold, full choke, and as soon as it catches, add some throttle, like about 1/8th to 1/4.
    Hold rpms with throttle, and back off choke till you get smooth running, and continue to ease off choke till it wil run without it, then slowly wind the throttle back til it idles.
    If you flood it, full throttle, no choke till it catches, then full choke and as per technique above.

Regards, Andrew.
  5. Thanks for the reply's people.

It turned out to be a choke problem. It was stuck and not opening or closing properly.
    It also turns out it wasn't actually flooding per-say. I mean, eventually it was, that was the end result, but only after trying to kick it over many times.

So essentially it was a mixture problem, caused by the choke.
  6. Another problem I had was when the tank was low, the carbs would partially drain overnight. Try starting on prime if you still have problems further down the track.
    Something to keep in mind is Kawasaki uses an injection type enrichment instead of a choke plate setup, can make diagnosing things easier.
    I bet your mileage improves now you've fixed this.
    Winter is coming too, time to change to a lighter oil.
    Considering buying another air cooled K bike, I love em! Nice Z 750 in Syd at the moment.

Regards, Andrew.