Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Flooded Carby's+Flat Battery

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by brettar01, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Hi Guys, and thanks for reading.

I have just bought a 1992 ZX2R Kawasaki. Took it out for a ride sunday arvo, but after an hour or so i stalled on a hill. Trying to start it up again I think I must have made every mistake possible-giving throttle, full choke etc until it was obviously flooded.

At this stage the battery was running quite low as I really didnt want to push it home.

I ended up having to. Today (Monday) my room mate helped me get it to the top of a hill to push start it (in 1st) which we tried probably four or five times with no luck.

So now the battery is pretty much completely dead. I have been told after 1 or 2 hours the carby will spill any excess fuel out, so flooding should not remain a problem. The bike has just had its roadworthy done last week, so should be in good enough nick. It has 50,000k's on the clock.

Does anyone know how i can get my bike started? I have read trying some different things, such as push starting in 2nd which i will do later tonight (my legs still feel like jelly from pushing up the damn hill) but I'm wondering if there is another problem here.

I should also mention when we were push starting it sounded as though it were about to come to life before failing again. This happened every time. The fuel tank is almost full.
  2. Buy a trickle charger on your way home tonight.

It only takes a little while for he battery to be charged enough so the bike will start
  3. Thanx-will definitely try that. Although if the battery being flat is the only problem shouldn't I be able to push start it?
  4. Push start it in second not first
  5. Depends.

If it was flooded (choked, maybe) then no choke and a little throttle might help it to fire.

If you really do have a big hill it is easy to vary things such as choke and throttle before you hit the bottom. If it starts to fire without choke and some throttle just hold it there for a few seconds, or open the throttle more, or even try a little choke.

Don't forget that because you are running too slowly for the engine to actually keep running at pushing speed, as soon as you hear it start to fire pull in the clutch to help the engine rev up with no load.

2nd is definitely the go - I'm surprised you got very far trying to roll start in 1st.

Trevor G[/b]
  6. Try a jump start from a nearby car.
  7. Thanx alot.

I will try it out and let you know how it goes.
  8. Got her started today!

I tried push starting in second (and even tried third) but didnt work-no idea why not. We had a fair bit of momentum as we were on a hill.

Anyway tried for the trickle charger but kmart ran out! I ended up just going into a garage and the guy there bought a battery over and jump started it straight away. Said he used to have the same model bike and always had problems with the choke, so he was alot of help.

Might take a few beers over there later on.

So thanks for the help guys, im sure i will be able to pass it on at some stage.

...any one needs me ill be on my bike...