Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

flood damage bike

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by henno, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Ok where do i start! i have had my bike in at the mechanics for a while being repaired. as you all probably know the hunter is flooding atm. i got told off my friend that the street that my bike is getting repaired is flooded at about 1 1/2 - 2 foot deep.
    i went down today to check out the water line on the building and at the front of the shop it is about a foot and at the rear (which my bike is situated) it is at about 2 feet deep. i am going to ring my insurer to find out about it, but my question is what kind of damage would it cause for my engine to be semi submerged in water?????? would it be classed as a right off? i have not seen my bike as the shop is closed, but they could clean it up and from the outside i probably wouldnt noticed anything just from a glance. i have no idea about mechanics so if someone could be of assistance that would be great.

2. Depends upon if the bike stays upright or not, if it goes down fairing damage is likely to be minimal if any, but if the motor fills with water, they will probable just pull plugs out and crank it away until it empties itself out. Once empty if it is run almost straight away, then it will be fine mechanically, but electronics etc especially if FI might be expensive replacements.

In any event the shop should have liability insurance, and I suggest looking at claiming on their policy before your own as this will save the excess and possibly an increased premium next renewal.
  3. Thats bad luck mate.
    Fresh oils and filters would be a must inc fork oil.
    If electrics have been under they will need to be dried out and sealed again which should involve a removal from the bike.
    Brake disks and pads should be removed and refaced (pads replaced) the restof the bike should be closly inspected and cleaned. The shops insurance should cover all this. Dont expect to get your bike back soon.
    The flood should have not caused any internal damage so you should be right.
    Hope it works out for you.
  4. Two feet of water should be O.K, worst would some water in the exhaust and maybe a wet stator/alternator, depending on the layout of the bike and exact height of the water. Much over two feet and most bikes are starting to get into wet starter motors etc, and the carbs aren't much further up......I just ran a tape up my bike, and it would be O.K at that height, however, my bike is tall.
    I hope you are using a reputable workshop who has insurance for such an event, you shouldn't have to cover this with your insurance.
    I would have the bike assesed, and if you can get photos of any tide marks on the bike, do it.
    Regards, Andrew.
  5. thx for the info guys its a real help. the mechanics/dealership is a really large and reputable business so they should help me out alot (hopefully) ill go in again on tuesday and find out any further info.
  6. shit brad im sorry to hear about that mate.
    we used to do submerged motor start drills in the army. they were bastards to get going again (2strokemercury) but it could always be done.
    hows it looking up there in general? ive only heard reports over the radio, havent seen any pics yet.

7. There's your problem! Lowest bidder supplying junk! :LOL:

Regards, Andrew.