Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Flickering dash light at idle - possible causes help please.

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by robsalvv, Apr 7, 2006.

1. Been noticing in the last few weeks that when idling, the dash light dims when the brake light goes on.

The other evening however, the head lights and dash lights flickered with engine revs at idle - stabalising with higher revs. Uh oh says me, never seen that before... alternator must be on the way out. Damn! Not happy Jan, only 34000 kms and had bike from new.

Took the bike to C.A.E.S in North Coburg [motorcycle auto electricians] with an explanation of the symptoms and they went to work. They found a healthy alternator, but found some earth wiring issues in the charging system and fixed that. Multimeter confirms healthy charging voltage of 14.5ish Volts.

HOWEVER, the original problem is still there. Dash lights still dim at idle when brake lights go on, and when the radiator fan kicks in, the dimming of dash and main lights is noticeable.

This was not a noticeable thing until recently... but if it's not the alternator dying, what do these symptoms suggest??

I'm confident the bike wont leave me on the side of the road with a flat battery, but since something is not right, I'm concerned, but not sure how concerned to be when there's an $80/hr fault finding cost.

2. Well i was going to say definately bad earth somewhere. are you sure that they checked all the earth points?? Mate you took it to them to fix and they charged you for an incomplete job. I would be on to them and telling them ..
  3. Hey robsalvv, slap me if this is too stupid, but by chance have you checked how clean your battery terminals are? I had a similar problem on my FZR and it was a bit of crap buildup on the neg lead.

4. Red - checked the terminals and connection leads - all good... no slaps for you!

Blue... the thought had crossed my mind... should give me a lever to negotiate with if I go back.