Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Flat tyres?

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by joël, Mar 16, 2005.

1. What do you do if you get one of these when out riding? my solution would be probably to call a friend with a trailer. But what do you do if you are away from home? e.g. touring etc?

most motorbike tires are tubeless arnt they?

so basicly what do you do??? (other then curse your luck) :wink:
  2. You could carry a punture repair kit, fits in a dririder pocket, and a couple of air bottles. But the doubting thomas's will now come out of the wood work, oh this oh that, but just ask them have they ever used one, hmmm thought as much. I ve been using them for years with no problems. The only repair you can not fix is a tear, which is fare enough. A simple hole will slow you down on your trip by 15 minutes. Simple to use, and the plugs are about $1.00 a pop. The kit when I bought mine retailed for $40.00.
  3. Folma, whats the brand of that repair kit you have? :wink:
  4. Mate Ive used it so much the brand names worn off. So the best I can do is a description
    Handle about 100mm long 25mm dia( Holder of 3 tools that fit handle in a t config) Orange in color brass knurled piece for holding tools in place when in use.
    One cleaning tool for cleaning the holed area
    Two fitting tools for fittting plugs
    A small fold up knife to clean up plug after fitting.
    If I remember it should come with 4 strips of plug material.
    if this help US pat no 07/571.723
  5. I bought one of those pressure cans of foam. Haven't had to use it (yet).

I've been told they're useless anyway, and I should have bought a proper repair kit.

On the other hand, I'm bone idle and mechanically naive, so the can's probably the better option.
  6. I was wondering about those. What do they cost, are they actually effective? etc. Because I'm WAY too lazy to actually repair the tyre myself.
  7. Got a mate (yes I really have a mate or two :p ) who swears by those pressure can foam things for his bike but if you've got a fist sized hole in the sidewall nothing short of a new tyre (or is that tire) is going to fix it.

By the way, if you do use a pressure can as a temporary fix you must get a proper repair done and don't forget to tell the repair person what you used as the gas and liquid used is not very healthy so they can take precautions not to cop a face full of it when they let the air out of the tyre to fix it :shock:
  8. Personally I'd get RACV cover, or the ACT equalivant.

It's only about $100 a year and I'm pretty sure they'll replace a tire or tow you to somewhere it can be replaced.
  9. I was under the impression that you couldn't get that sort of cover for a bike... I think that one of my friends told me that you couldn't get it. I'm definately going to have to get that now.
  10. cool replies, thx heaps all, hope i never get one... knock on the computer desk...
  11. Motul have an aerosol can specificallyfor bike tyres. It retails for under $20 at most accessory shops.

12. I looked into this a couple of weeks ago and was told that the only thing RACV will do for bikes is tow them - which makes it a pretty expesive potential towing service.
  13. To be honest, I've always kind of buried my head in the sand when it comes to punctures. This isn't a very good repair technique though, and I wouldn't advise it if you have particularly big hair.

The BM (typically!) comes with an emergency tyre repair kit, complete with a few of those small gas canister thingies. Haven't had to use it yet, but it does strike me as an excellent idea to carry something for those times when you are stuck in the middle of nowhere.

... the BM also comes with a space under the seat for a nice pair of suede slippers (included) and somewhere to put a small flask of tea and vegemite sandwich.
  14. But does it come with a pipe holder, and somewhere to rest your spectacles? :p
  15. Not as standard. These are all optional extras - Part numbers #2033116 and #2033567, I believe for the 2003 model, #2033116A and #2033567-1 for anything later, now for a 1972 RS....
  16. If the tyre is just about kapoot and im not far from home i ride. If im a long way I will servo hop. Rarely will a tyre blow out. Usually itll go down slow cause of a nail or something stuck in it.

Your chances of a blowout are so low that they are not worth worrying about.
    99% of punctures are usually a slow leak and you have enough time to slow down safely and stop if your puncture is more severe.