Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

flat tire kits.....ever used one?

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by evelknievel75, Jun 27, 2008.

1. i've seen these kits in MCAS etc...for plugging flats caused by nails etc....

i've had my mechanic plug a flat tire before but am hesitant to do it myself with one of these kits ( i am useless mechanically )....

has anyone used them before and found them worthwhile? easy to use? ( i ask because as i say, i am retarded when it comes to these things )...

2. Best under $50 purchase full stop. No spare tyre on a bike, and a nail can really ruin your day. And they are very very simple to use. Note though park the opposite end of the bike against a hard object when putting in the plug... Trust me, it's kind of ... hard to manage it solo otherwise.
  3. I have this under my seat http://www.slime.com/product_111_Power_Sport_Tire_Inflator_(40001).html with a standard tubeless plug kit.

NOTE: Copy the entire URL, with no spaces - the brackets screw it up.
  4. I carry a plug type repair kit in my tank bag. If you are hesitant to use one of these kits, just think what it would be like to be , for example , half way up putty road and get a flat tyre, then see how hesitant you are to use one to get home, otherwise could be a long walk.
  5. Is there an Oz distributor or did you get it from the States? I think I've seen something similar in Supercheap Auto.
  6. http://tinyurl.com/47r3j8

7. looks like ahandy piece of kit. Although I hear the sealant in a can stuff is no good for your tires(although I am known to be wrong, or misinformed at times). Putting air into your tire is not going to help you if its going to come back out again.
  8. highly recommended

Got one and have used it twice on rides. I ride slowly after using it, but it does the job and I would have been in serious trouble without the kit! I'd hate to be out in the middle of nowhere without a kit!

After getting home, I go to my local bike shop and they put a patch on the inside of the tyre to plug it up properly, but the kit does what it is supposed to do.
  9. http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-Tyre-Pun...NameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em122

This sort of kit has worked every time for me (about a dozen repairs i guess) and they have always lasted the life of the tyre, though I wouldn't use them at the track.....

I always keep one on my bike. I bought my last one from MCAS but I cant see it on thier website now. Ordering this one from the UK is a comparable price anyhow. $60 odd.
  10. Yep Supercheap Auto sell them for $40 (if I remember correctly).
  11. Follow the instructions, clean and ream the hole, and you can get home after this:

by doing this:

Just be aware that tears like this are never good repairs. You can get good one for a small nail puncture though. Just don't run long on punctures where the object went through the sidewall.

I'd recommend you try repairing an old tyre a few times so you can see what is happening. Also, never forget to trim the excess, or the plug/string can be ripped out of the hole.