Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Flat tire help

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by livingstonest, Mar 23, 2007.

1. Riding round newcastle for 2hrs last nite since i haven't done that for ages i was 10min from home when the steering was little funny. So pulled over and checked everything but was dark and didn't see anything. Rode some more and something was definitely strange.......yep i had a flat rear! Any luckily wasn't too far from home and the 3rd petrol station did have air which was enough to get home.

At the servo i bought a can of tire weld. Anybody used that before? Know how it works? And if i use it would it still be possible to plug the tire?

Its just a tiny v-shaped nick, so i think plugging should be fine. Any ideas as to how much its gonna cost? Can any car mechanic do it or should i find a dedicated motorcycle centre?

Any help is much appreciated, thanks!
  2. Can of worms (is there an emoticon for that :p )

Definitely get the tyre inspected - do not rely on the can of weld.

Some will say professionally plugged is fine, some will say replace the tyre. Or maybe even use a tube and get tyre plugged.

Tyre shops do car ones for about $25 - but then car wheels come off easier than a bike one, so ring aorund and take your wheel in.

I'd go with replacing the tyre or the tube option but not just a plug
  3. just grab a screw dip it in supa glue and screw it in. Shell be rite mate.

I wouldnt use the weld and a plug. If the weld fails so will the plug. Plug kits are about 35$ from bike shops