Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

flat earth society

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by Mendy, Aug 7, 2008.

1. guys, i heard a bout this from a friend . . .
    Anyways, intresting in so many ways

google -flat earth society forum

2. Or just google catholocism - it has just as much credibility.... :bolt:

3. In news just in...

The President of the Flat Earth Society has just returned from his along-the-world trip

:rofl:

4. That'd be George Bush?

5. Ha ha ha, nice one!

But we all know the world is a sphere and is 6000 years old though... :wink:

6. There's still people buying whoflungs, too!

7. I'll bite. What is a whoflung? Bloody teenage slang again, I suppose Dude Bro Ho Mofo.

8. It's the motorcycle equivalent of a woo-hoo, dude.

9. Thanx Homie.

10. Surely they're just taking the piss...

Bloody funny read though.

11. Yeah I reckon you are spot on, it is bloody funny though. :LOL: :LOL:

12. Sadly no, they were very serious. After all they had the Bible to support their claims - whereas everything NASA produced was of course fake.

Fortunately the main nutjob behind it in recent times died about 5 years ago.

13. jd, I can't be bothered to sift through that nonsense, but where do they state the Bible in support of their argument?? I'm interested, because the Bible says exactly the opposite :LOL:.

14. Depends how you interpret the Bible. If I remember correctly the Earth is referred to as a "disc" - which in a literal sense is a 2-dimensional, flat object (the original word was actually that used to describe metal that had been spread out by hammering).

Ooh look a reference:
    http://cf.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?strongs=07549

Okay that's old testament and the new testament may say something different. But does that then mean God "squished" the planet into a ball at some point?

15. Cute, but it ignores Isaiah 40:22. "It is He that sitteth upon the circle of the earth..."

16. Again "circle" could be equally used to argue FOR a flat earth - since a "circle" is a 2-dimensional shape (just like sitting on a circular mat).

Depends whether you're trying to interpret it to fit current known facts, or looking at it from the point of view of people when it was written (who still believed the Earth and the Sun/Moon were flat discs).

There's also the danger in making literal interpretations from a (potentially flawed or biased) translation.

17. The sun is 5000km away... Puhhhlleeeaaazzzzze!!

Also from the same entry

There's more... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_Earth_Society

Gotta hand it to these nutters! :applause:

18. I hope at least 400 of those extra pages were pictures.
    Otherwise that would be one seriously boring book.

19. Isn't there something about it in the Book of Armaments?

Something about the holy hand grenade of Antioch blowing the crap out of the planet at some stage...

20. :LOL: The Chronicles of the Holy Grail :LOL: