Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Flash Banners

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by vic, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Folks,

An advertiser has sent me a banner in swf format.

No matter what I do to the sucker it does not display as a clickable banner.

It goes through the motions and shows the entire movie but you cannot click on the damn thing.

I have Adobe Flash CS3 installed and I cannot see how or what or even where to change whatever I need to change to make the bastard thing clickable.

Anyone familiar with Fash files?

2. The new flash uses different scripting, basically making everyones knowledge of the old code obsolete. I'm guessing it'd be a compatibility issue between the two.

edit: so you'd need to google the new code for linky linky.

3. i was under the impression

.swf files are the final export version

which means u cant reverse engineer them in adobe flash (e.g add a click event to the banner)

4. No, you can import it, but it wont maintain the 'tween' animation, if you know what I mean.

5. why not just wrap <a href=> tags around it??

6. I have the .fla file, so I can export it to swf.

I'm a dunce when it comes to this stuff, I have no clue as to how to do it.

When I export the movie to .swf and upload it as a banner its not clickable.

The banner software has the option to look inside the .swf file for a hardcoded url but stuffed if I can see where to enter it.

7. I really hate flash banner ads with a passion.
    Whenever I see one i deliberately avoid clicking it.
    Whoever invented them needs their testicles removed and shoved down a meat grinder.

8. I can get the flash dude at work to have a look at it tomorrow if you want...

I assume you have access to my email address with your super admin powers but if not just PM me :)

9. Hi mate,

Im happy to help if I can. Plenty of experience in Flash.

Easy solution is to send it back and ask for them to add the click script to it. Else you'll need to import it and inject your own script in there.

That is unless they can send you the source file to modify

Dave

10. Hey Vic,

It sounds like they haven't added the "button overlay" or action script code. When you hover over it does the little hand come up? If not, you need them to add the button overlay to it.

Let us know how you go and if you need a step by step guide for them.

Cheers
    Starlet

11. Dare i ask how big this sort of animation is?
    I only ask because the Internal Infra teams here thought it was a good idea to give us a 25 meg daily download limit so big adds are a B!tch (don't go to the age at all any more)
    My 25 meg lasts me till about 3 in the afternoon if I am carefull

12. Yikes, I download a gig from gametrailers.com during lunch each day. :-w

13. Thats the exact problem. I only just installed flash last night and worked out that it didnt have the button overlay or action script code.

I can send it back and get them to fix it but I wanted to learn how to do it should the need arise.
    I have the .fla file and can see all frames :)

14. Yep, it is good to know just in case you ever need to do it yourself. I've only ever had to adjust the action script code myself (to open in a new window), here's a guide on how to do it, but I suspect you will have to work out the button overlay first....you may be able to fiddle with it while you are implementing the below.

Also, the 'clickTag' is what we use at work, it may differ on your end.

The ActionScript code needs to be implemented in a button instance (usually the width and height of the animation) that is in the top layer of the animation.

1) Select the button that is the ‘click’ within your ad and open the actions associated with that button.
    2) The event associated with your button should be a mouse release.
    3) The URL should be set to ‘clickTag’ with the expression check box next to it checked.
    4) The window targeted should be set to “_blankâ€.
    5) The ‘variables’ field should be set to ‘Don’t send’.

The ActionScript code should look like the following:
    on (release) {
    getURL(clickTag, "_blank");
    }

Hope this helps, if you find out how to implement the button - let me know, would like to know how to do that too :grin: