Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

FJ1200 Timing Plate - TDC Question

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Eddo, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Hi there

I'm reinstalling the camshafts on my 1990 FJ1200. My Clymers manual states that to set TDC align the 'T Mark' on the timing plate to the stationary indicator on the pick up coil. In addition to the 'Letter T' on the timing plate there is also a longer horizontal line on the edge of the plate next to a couple of other smaller lines and the letter 'F' which I assume relates to firing interval or something. Anyway my question is this .....is the 'TDC mark' the letter 'T' or the longer horizontal line just below it for the purposes of setting TDC.

Note that I have used the old straw in the plug hole method as a rough method of checking TDC but given the 'T' and the line are fairly close together its hard to separate them. I think in the longer term I will have to buy a piston stop and a degree wheel to mark a very accurate TDC. Would be grateful if anyone knows where I can buy a piston stop & degree wheel in melbourne?

2. I'd go with the line.