Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Fixing Up My Bike

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by patske, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Hey guys, I'm looking to fix up my bike and respray it to make it look well nicer I guess.

here is a photo of me on it in it's current condition
    http://members.optushome.com.au/timneall/pbulacz/me.jpg
    and some more photo's here not recent enough this was when I bought it, was kinda alright then but still some damage, since then I dropped it when I first got it and the stupid "oggy knobs" that were on it ruined the fairings
    http://members.optushome.com.au/timneall/pbulacz/faring_damage.jpg
    http://members.optushome.com.au/timneall/pbulacz/front_damage.jpg
    http://members.optushome.com.au/timneall/pbulacz/tank damage.jpg

As you can see the previous owner had a couple of off's and there is duck tape holding alot of the faring bits together. I'm looking to make a project out of it and completely respray the bike a Matt black color, tank, farings everything but I want to do it right and I DON'T want to buy new farings or replicas for 250 a pop, that's WAY beyond my budget and really away from the point of the exercise. I'm new to all things painting and customizing. But I have a friend who is a spray painter by trade and he has already given me some pointers I want to do this on my own because he already told me to get it painted by his biz it would be around $500-$1000 again WAY over budget, I was thinking 300 MAX. He was referring to a full professional job. I don't want this I want to do almost all of it on my own. I'm thinking along the lines of putty plastex, canned primer and then maybe borrow a spray gun (I've got a compressor) and get the stuff painted If anyone has any experience ideas, links, fingers in the right direction it would be appreciated. Especially how to go about preparing farings for painting and how to fix up scratches such as the one on the front fairing, oh and the mirrors are discouloured and the plastic is scratched so I'd rather not have to get new ones.

If you read this far, thank you.
    :wink:

2. Get any cracks in the fairings plastic welded. It'll be stronger, and will far outlive fibreglass. After that, start bogging (the higher sytrene % the better AFAIK).

Bog.
    Sand.
    Bog.
    Sand.
    Bog.
    Sand.
    Prime.
    Sand?
    Prime.
    Paint.
    Paint.
    Paint.
    Gloss.
    Gloss.

Enjoy. ;)
    I'm currently undergoing a similar process, but i'm going with either a high-gloss black, or a nice Yammy blue.
    If you wanna get in contact via email, PM me and we can exchange photo's etc of how things are coming along.

I've just had my left fairing plastic welded (thanks LordTB :D) and bogged it up twice; one more layer of bog & sand to go i think. Then gotta weld up the right one, then she'll be sweet.

3. Go for it man.
    Remember "90% of painting is in the prep work. 10% is in the application of the paint". I ignored this, mostly on the tank.

I suggest you don't use shitty paint either. Your spray gun idea is pretty kick ass and your mate will probably hook you up, right (Hey maybe he can even spray it for you once you've done the grunt work and sanded it all back)? My 3 dollar per can paint is already prettymuch ruined and I don't even ride.
    Put down lots of coats and see if you can get a matte clear coat to protect it aswell (My mate says these exist, but I don't know to what degree they effect shineyness).

4. as peivously stated the should be 2-3 primed and sanded coates, then 3-4 top coates but in this order.

paint dry resand with wet and dry 1500 or higher use it wet only. Sand back until all dull and dimples removed. can see and any dimples by looking along the painted surface with light on it. Repeat this process aleast 2-3 times. 3 should get it looking pretty nice. After this hit it with Mr. Buff and a high powered buff. Mix buff into a fine paste (just mix it with water. Start buffing untill you get the disred result.

This process will if done correctly will come up better then new cars paint work. As for cost i repainted a car with this process for just under a 1k. so a bike should be alot less. As others have said the long you spend on the prep work the better the end result. i work to this time frame, if it takes you 5 mins to put one coat on you should spend about 5 hrs preping that panel

Anyway if yo uwant any other advice just ask

cheers stewy