Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Fixing up chrome scratches

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by cam77, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Probably a silly question, and I think I know the answer, but I'll ask anyway.

My new bike has scratches on the chrome part of the exhaust from a drop. :cry:

Does anybody know any fixes for this? (aside from getting a new exhaust).

Cam. :-k
  2. if the scratch isnt deep, or back to the metal you can try some very light metal polish. dont use anything to abrasive. it will get most of it out. then use a good polish to buff it up.
  3. As stated, if they are only minor, get a good metal polish ( i use autosol, or mothers chrome polish) and then elbow grease. Even if there are deep a bit of a polish will make then stand out less.
  4. If they are still there, after the polish thing, you can get a "kill rust" chrome (aluminium maybe) paint and use a model brush and go over them carfully.

You can't do a lot of this, because it doesn't match entirely, but it helps hide it a bit.

The advantage of the killrust is that you don't have to prime.

I also find this is good for touching up nuts/bolts that have had the crome knocked off them.
  5. Does steel wool work on these type of scratches?

Maybe give it a try on the underside first.