Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Fix for underpowered Harley Davidson.

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' at netrider.net.au started by Ruder Intruder, Nov 12, 2010.

1. turbo harley.

turbo harley 2.

Got an underpowered Harley?...simply bolt on a Garrett Turbo out of a skyline and your away.....good for straightening out your arms and for scaring jap bikes.
    Cheers.

2. So what is the increase in power and lap times?
    What's the service interval on that turbo?

3. by adding the turbo...does it still leave oil patchs all around the place?

4. i like it, but it dose'nt fix the rest of the bike, you still have a lot to spend.
    and now that you've pumped more horses into the donk, everything Harley connected to said donk is going to either seize up or explode

5. Yeah Im hoping they fitted some upgraded brakes first....

6. That is a good effort but that turbo and piping will generate so much heat that the riders right leg will always be at risk of severe burning.

7. That'd be wicked for laps of Lygon.

8. I recall seeing a chart of bike stopping distances. Cruisers generally beat the jap sports bikes as they have a rear weight bias so you could manhandle the rear brake as well as the front.

9. Have you got that chart handy somewhere?
    I find it very hard to imagine a bike weighing 200+ kilos with touring rubber is going to stop faster than a bike weighing <200 with super sticky sports rubber...

10. Then there's the question of what the rider can do. Some of the vest and tassle brigade are actually pretty damn good, but most are less than ordinary. The fact that you've been wobbling around like a gumby for 20 years doesn't make you anything but a stubborn gumby.

11. The heads were decked and O-ringed with new flat top pistons and 3angle valves and faces cut in, the bottom end was left original. It produces about 5lb of thrust cutting in about 1800rpm and will lift the front wheel with ease. The bottom end only lasted approx 3months before it imploded and destroyed an almost brand new bike, its now back on the bench waiting for parts. A very expensive lesson learned but it was a blast to ride. Best part was the top end pull at highway speeds, 100km to "way too fast for a harley" speed was blistering and many jap bikes felt its wrath. It was knicknamed "stiffarm" because it straightened your arms out under acceleration, brakes and all running gear were original stock harley parts and did the job admirably. If all goes according to plan it will be back out to terrorize the streets in a few months, with a brand new crank and upgraded gearbox to match.

12. I've said it once I'll say it again good effort. Did you also put an intercooler on it too or just ran it without?

I was contemplating on something like this and was speaking to my mechanic about it but think I will do it to my next bike or after as my current bike is only 400cc.

13. original bike.

modified monster.

original bike purchased brand new, was dropped and while being repaired and repainted the turbo modifications went on.

14. Did the heat from the turbo cook your right leg?

15. I'm grinning like an idiot imagining the bogan version of this;straight through pipes and a pop off valve so as to give the barp barp exhaust note combined with the mega wanky whoop.

16. [-X It's pointless, impractical, silly and verging on the dangerous. And I love it :rofl:.

Bikes were not made to be taken too seriously :twisted:.

17. Nup. I'm certain I saw it on netrider though. The differences were not great though, around 5-10%

18. wrong, front weight bias stops faster
    or rather, transfer of weight to the front tire.
    rear weight bias would make you skid, not stop.

19. Monkeyman, IMHO you're speaking from the wrong end.

20. my indian student wrote that.
    is it wrong?
    i'm actually not certain now...
    jap sportsbikes tend to have decent front brakes
    but cruisers have longer raked front forks
    in either, the front brake is probably doing 95% of the work pulling the bike up.
    however, the design of the cruiser , fat tread on the rear, and more weight situated there, perhaps allows the rear brake to me more effective ?... so perhaps i am wrong ?

i would be very suprised though if a bike built for function performed worse than a bike built for form, in any respect... and a bike designed to accelerate quickly would incorporate in it's design the abilty to also decelerate quickly.
    ... enlighten me