Well, this morning I decided that the front hoop on the DR was too worn to last any longer. The factory fitted Bridgestone Trailwing had plenty of knobbles, but, due to the scalloped wear pattern, it was down beyond the tread grooves in places at 18,600km. So it was off with the old and on with the unworn Ebay Special that I picked up a year or so ago and whose counterpart has been doing duty on the back for several months. Lack of a centrestand meant I had to get creative with jacks, stands and blocks of wood to get the front end off the ground and stable. I was fairly impressed with how easily the wheel dropped out, although putting it back in could have done with three hands to get the disc into the caliper while keeping the speedo drive and axle spacer in place while inserting the spindle. The old tyre came off without problems, the beads breaking with hand pressure alone. I was unimpressed to see rust around the base of the valve stem where it joins the tube. Use of a newly purchased set of rim protectors saved me from skagging the nice ally rim. Putting the new tyre on was greatly eased by using generous helpings of talcum powder on the beads and rim. Much less messy than soap. Well, not less messy really, but drier and easier to clean up. I highly recommend it, as it allowed me to walk the tyre on with almost no effort. Last time I put a tyre on, I had difficulty getting the beads to seat. This time I decided not to muck about and pulled the valve core before hooking the tyre to my big compressor and whacking it straight up to 50psi. Thanks to the talc and the fast rate of inflation it only took a couple of goes before the beads popped out against the rim, giving me a nice concentric tyre. Slap the wheel back in, a quick test ride to check for any out of round or balance issues and to scrub off the excess talc and we're done and dusted in less than an hour. Very satisfying.